Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a 39A made in 1954 today. It has hardly any dings in the wood and the blue is perfect. The gun feels like a new one. What are these going for now? I do not hang out on the rimfire pages much and have no idea.

Thanks
Arkie

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
ive got about $300 in mine... but i got lucky!

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
It depends on where you live. Gun Broker prices per GTKF are about right. Plus shipping and any DOJ you may have. I saw a Mountie in California for about $575.00, that I would have snapped up if I had been there a day sooner. If it's cherry, I'd pay more than $500.00. New are definitely over $500.00, but I don't know about Remington. I bought a Century 39 Ltd. (1971), beautiful shape a year ago, paid $550.00. Prices seem to be cheaper out there in the middle of the country. I say buy it.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I picked up a 1947 a while back and paid $450 it was not in the best shape but cleaned up real well and shoots even better, I'm happy. 8) 8) I have also added a Williams peep to it since then but have not tried it out but will soon.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
54's are kinda special as that is the year Marlin switched to M.G. rifleing.

If its a Ballard rifled model add a little to its worth .

If its a Mountie , straight stock add a little more to its worth.

If its a Mountie with Ballard rifleing and in good of shape as you say you need to buy it ASAP as it would be one of 54 built that year .

I have 2, 54 Mounties with M.G. rifleing in very good condition , I value them at about $675.00-$700.00 apiece as they are 2 of 1182 built in 1954.

All 54's should demand a little higher price because they are eather first year or last year models .

Congrats on a good find . :)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the good info. The man had thought the gun sold and gone but when he went to the back to get a Springfield 45/70 to show me he came out with the 39A too. said he would call the man and if he is not going to get it I would be able to buy it. I am back through that town next week. The Springfield was neat too. It had been in the same family for 121 years and had the bayonet attached. It looked really good to be so old. That was the best pawn shop visit I have made in a while. He was bringing stuff out of the back room to show me. He had another 39A but it was too rough for me. He wanted 529 for the 54 Marlin and 1000 for the Springfield. He also had a really old Winchester box with about 5 or 6 405 gr pieces of ammo in it.

Thanks

Arkie

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
kerr said:
54's are kinda special as that is the year Marlin switched to M.G. rifleing.

If its a Ballard rifled model add a little to its worth .

If its a Mountie , straight stock add a little more to its worth.

If its a Mountie with Ballard rifleing and in good of shape as you say you need to buy it ASAP as it would be one of 54 built that year .

I have 2, 54 Mounties with M.G. rifleing in very good condition , I value them at about $675.00-$700.00 apiece as they are 2 of 1182 built in 1954.

All 54's should demand a little higher price because they are eather first year or last year models .

Congrats on a good find . :)

KERR, Great information, I hope I can retain it long enough until the next Mountie comes around

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
I also have one of the M.G. 1954 Mounties. I bought from my dad for $80 and I would say it is 98%.
It is the gun that stated my Marlinitis, so I would put my value at Priceless.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts