Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor who has a 39Awith a serial of D 17xxx. Didn't want to give him a date as I'm not sure if the serial ifo for the 336's holds for the rimfires or not. He's mising the foreend cap and a butt plate and hood for the front sight. otherwise ,gun is really pretty nice. any place I might be able to direct him for the missing parts?..........Buck 8) :roll: :?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
All my references indicate that the mfg date codes apply to all serialized rifles including the 39A's. A "D" prefix indicates 1947 mfg. Around that time was when Marlin switched to the Microgroove rifling. I've seen 39a's, 336's etc., dated a year or so either side of 1950, with both MG & Ballard rifling in all dates. Try www.e-gunparts.com for parts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Buck - 1947 should be the YOM for your neighbor's 39A based on the "D" serial number prefix. Although the Model 336 was not introduced until 1948 the letter prefix to the serial number was the same as the 39A's after that. Marlin, Brownells or Gun Parts Corp. should have the parts your neighbor needs although the front sight hood is no longer available in the original configuration the newer style will fit. More than likely any new butt plate you buy will have a white space that comes with it. Your neighbor may want to leave this out as the spacer was not added until 1951. Also note that a new butt plate will have to be matched to the buttstock as they come slightly oversize.

I have my doubts about Micro-Grooved barrels on Marlins being produced earlier than the years quoted in the 2 1/2 page article in Brophy's book. Not doubting what Nobody39 saw, just trying to figure out why he saw what he did. More than likely the examples Nobody39 had seen were rebarreled in later years with Micro-Grooved barrels.

According to the article I mentioned, it was not until 1950 when Marlin first started studying the "Button rifling process" and first incorporating this method into the Model 89C in 1953. During 1954 all rimfire rifles Marlin made were switched over to the "Micro-Groove" rifling including the Model 322 chambered for the .222 cartridge. By 1956 Marlin was just about done switching over the rest of their center-fire rifles to the new process.

Tom

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Tom, you're probably correct about the dates. Been a while since I've seen one. I do remember tho, that the first Marlin I saw with MicroGroove stamped on the barrel had a numerals only serial # and I'm quite sure they didn't mfg any before 1946 (when they started the alpha prefixes) so it would have had to be a rebarrel job. I recently bid (unsuccessfully) on a 336A with SN prefix "K" that the guy claimed was all original with MG barrel?? The one thing I've learned about older guns is that I usually don't know nearly as much as I need to or that I'd like to :oops: .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nobody - I know what you mean about the gaps in knowledge with these older guns, best you can hope for is that finding out about these areas is not too expensive. :?

I assume you were referring to the Model 336 when you said you didn't think Marlin made any before 1946. While the Model 336 was introduced in 1948 it was really a continuation of the Model 36, 1936, 1893 line of rifles with one of the biggest differences being the change to a round bolt from the square one in previous models.

The letter prefix for the 336 that identified the YOM was used on this model starting with it's first year of production but was a continuation of the system already being used on the Model 39A starting in 1941-1942 with the letter "B" (the first model year of the 39A had no letter prefix). After WWII Marlin used a large or upper case "C" letter prefix on the 39A in late 1945 and changed to a small or lower case "c" in 1946.

While Brophy's book is not without an error here and there something like Marlin incorporating the button rifling process in their rifles should have been well documented as they used it as a selling point since the 1950's.

Have a good one

Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nobody - I know what you mean about the gaps in knowledge with these older guns, best you can hope for is that finding out about these areas is not too expensive. :?

I assume you were referring to the Model 336 when you said you didn't think Marlin made any before 1946. While the Model 336 was introduced in 1948 it was really a continuation of the Model 36, 1936, 1893 line of rifles with one of the biggest differences being the change to a round bolt from the square one in previous models.

The letter prefix for the 336 that identified the YOM was used on this model starting with it's first year of production but was a continuation of the system already being used on the Model 39A starting in 1941-1942 with the letter "B" (the first model year of the 39A had no letter prefix). After WWII Marlin used a large or upper case "C" letter prefix on the 39A in late 1945 and changed to a small or lower case "c" in 1946.

While Brophy's book is not without an error here and there something like Marlin incorporating the button rifling process in their rifles should have been well documented as they used it as a selling point since the 1950's.

Have a good one

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts