Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Model 39A - Locks with the lever open

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gaguidegun 
#1 ·
So my dad owns a 1990 vintage Model 39A that has locked itself in the open position for the third time now.

The lever is fully extended on the 'eject stroke' and will not return. Ejection works.

The two previous times required trips to the gunsmith for rehab.

Is this a common problem?

Any advice is appreciated.

Gaguidgun

#2 ·
Sounds like it's catching on something.

When you cycle the action on a marlin 39a a few things happen.

When you open the bolt, the lever pushes the bolt back. When the lever almost reaches its full stroke, the carrier has a little pin in it that pivots up and down on the receiver keeping the carrier in place. When the lever pops over that spring loaded pin, it allows the carrier to come up with a new cartridge and on the return of the bolt the rim of the case slips under the extractor where the bolt is in full control of the cartridge, and the lever clicks back over the pin and the carrier drops back into place awaiting the next round. Now to try and figure out why it's hanging up. Could you possibly get pics?

EDIT: Here is what I would try. Seperate the two halves of the receiver, and remove the bolt from the other half. With the side of the receiver that has all the guts, hold the gun where the barrel would be angling towards the air and cycle the action. See how it operates and if it hangs up, you'll know the problem lies somewhere between the carrier and the lever, if it does not hang up then you'll know the problem lies somewhere between the bolt and lever or the other half of the receiver.

#3 ·
I had the same issue with my 39M. Had to separate the halves to get everything working until the next jam.

Took it apart for a REAL good cleaning. I'm not positive but I believe that the cartridge stop on the left half of the receiver was the culprit. This is a small piece of spring steel, held in a machined groove by a screw from the outside. The groove was filled with grease and powder residue, the screw a bit loose.

It works like a champ now!

BE CAREFUL when you tighten ANY of the spring parts down on these guns, as the springs are easily cracked. Don't hulk them down.

Jon

Reactions: bob kk
#4 ·
planeflyer21 said:
I had the same issue with my 39M. Had to separate the halves to get everything working until the next jam.

Took it apart for a REAL good cleaning. I'm not positive but I believe that the cartridge stop on the left half of the receiver was the culprit. This is a small piece of spring steel, held in a machined groove by a screw from the outside. The groove was filled with grease and powder residue, the screw a bit loose.

It works like a champ now!

BE CAREFUL when you tighten ANY of the spring parts down on these guns, as the springs are easily cracked. Don't hulk them down.

Jon
Good advice here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.