Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a Model 39 to replace the one I had when I was a boy. I have found one with serial # 91** on the tang, no star. Can someone tell me their best guess as to date of manufacture? Would I be able to shoot high velocity ammo (mini mags) through this gun?

I am torn between buying this gun which seems to be of the same era I had when I was a boy or a 1965 Golden 39A with appropriate Micro-vue scope. I know everyone will say to buy both, and believe me I would like to but I can't afford it. I definitely want a shooter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
No star on tang, I would guess 1924-25. Only standard velocity ammo can be used.

Tim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I thought but wasn't sure. The rifle looks exactly like the one I had as a kid in the 70's. It was my uncles and he would have gotten it in the 20's. It shot like a dream. I have no idea whether I was using high velocity ammo or not, whatever was at hand. Is there a way to tell visualy if an older rifle has been damaged by using the higher powered rounds? This one is a beauty and if I buy it I will hunt with it no matter the age.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You will need to have a gunsmith check it out. A crack could be something that is readily seen with the naked eye to a microscopic line that would only be visible using special chemicals called die-check. The Model 39's that are safe to use high velocity ammo have the letters HS prefixed into the SN.
Tim

Reactions: Mulehead64
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.