Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'm wondering if there is any source for a diagram, or animation, that demonstrates the cycle of operation of a Marlin model 39.

I've seen plenty of exploded, parts diagrams. That's not what I'm lookin' for.

Thanks for any help offered.

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
August, perhaps not what you're looking for but I hope it gives you some idea. I've never seen any sort of animation on the 39, there was one for the 336 but now you have to sign up for the course out of Washington State. Mr fixit

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great Pictures fixit - helped me a lot. I have an old 1897 from 1903 - and it misses a tiny bit when the action Closes to the breech. Looks like 110 years of use has grinded a bit on the lever and the breechbolt, where they meet - so it doesn't close completely. Have you heard of that issue? And what to do - only replacement?
August, perhaps not what you're looking for but I hope it gives you some idea. I've never seen any sort of animation on the 39, there was one for the 336 but now you have to sign up for the course out of Washington State. Mr fixi

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is a DVD from the AGI that does a tutorial with gun cut always showing the action of the 39. Good old Bob Dunlap does the instructing . Almost all worn parts can be built back up with TIG welding and then filed back to shape

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Great Pictures fixit - helped me a lot. I have an old 1897 from 1903 - and it misses a tiny bit when the action Closes to the breech. Looks like 110 years of use has grinded a bit on the lever and the breechbolt, where they meet - so it doesn't close completely. Have you heard of that issue? And what to do - only replacement?
Could be that, could be the locking lug is cracked from high-speeds(don't use!!!!). If the locking lug is intact, the lever end can be stretched a bit by careful peening. If the locking lug is cracked, you've basically got a parts gun unless you can find a wrecked gun and snatch the bolt out of it. Note that the tip of the lever IS what props the bolt shut. And the tightness of the takedown screw can affect headspace, also note that the lever rides on two tapered bosses, one on either receiver section.

Stan S.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Seems like a little Moly on the lockup surfaces would go a long way. Can you recommend a good Moly lubricant for me?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
The "Moly" that I use came from an auto shop. Bought their smallest container and still have 3/4 25 years later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts