Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all -- new guy here. I've inherited my Dad's Model 39 [not 39a] as shown in the photos. I know it's a valuable rifle to be passed down. It's missing the little spring-loaded button that locks the magazine [last photo]. Any thoughts on where I could find this little part? I've checked with Marlin, Bob's Gun Shop in Arkansas [where I live], Jack First, and ebay -- no luck. Any other thoughts on where to find one? Is there some "do it yourself" solution that could be used? Could the part be custom fabricated? Any ideas are appreciated!

Also, was a front sight hood original, optional, or just not done? My old eyes don't squint so well anymore....

Attachments

·
Registered
29,939 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

Sweet looking Marlin! Sorry I can't help you.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Welcome! If you don't have the expertise or equipment I would think any respectable gunsmith could figure it out.

Reactions: jim716

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Pennsylvania!!! Sorry I can't help you with the button.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Welcome from Idaho! I think like 256winmag said, might be the best possibility.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Don't give up searching ebay, new postings pop up regularly. Took me 5 years of occasional searches to get a correct front sight for an old Remington.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Parts aren't available for the magazine, probably not since WW2. What you have to look for is a complete assembly, will be on one of the auction sites and not cheap. These magazines are completely different from current designs and are a bit fragile. The only parts available are from wrecks and guns that have cracked bolts.

Bolts are another thing that's not available as spare parts. Use standard velocity ammo only and shoot sparingly, the 1897s, all the Marlin .22 pumps and most of the pre-war 39s all have the same design defect in the bolt, they WILL crack if used with high-speed ammo. There's a sharp corner at the locking area that acts as a stress riser, was OK with old black powder ammo, eventually will crack there with high-speeds. There was a redesign of the 39 after high-speed ammo came out, but there were a whole lot of guns that never got upgraded. "HS" was added to the serial if the upgrade was done.

Front hoods weren't done, no ramps, but there were a few options for front sights and globe fronts could be added, if desired. I've seen a few at collectors shows, usually had receiver peeps added.

FWIW, just saw a nice 39 at the local show, guy had $2200 on it, far above the usual barn gun relic that's on display.

Good luck on the quest!

Stan S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts