Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a marlin 39A action will cycle with gun empty, but when loaded it jams open and cannot be closed almost like a double feed i replaced bullet cut off but problem remains i dont want to retire it because it is a tack driver any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

I suspect your ammo. Try a different type or brand. I assume that you are using the correct ammo for the rifle?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i own a marlin 39A action will cycle with gun empty, but when loaded it jams open and cannot be closed almost like a double feed i replaced bullet cut off but problem remains i dont want to retire it because it is a tack driver any info would be greatly appreciated
Many years of the 39 have a spacer under the cartridge stop, it's easy to miss that when disassembling for detail cleaning and to have it drop out without seeing it. It's kind of thin oval washer that fits the pocket under the cartridge stop and is held in place by the small screw. If it's dropped out, the cartridge stop will fit too far down in the pocket and won't work correctly. That would be the first thing I'd check. Some of the older guns had a cartridge stop that incorporated the spacer's function in a one-piece part, these are no longer available and the spring sheet steel replacements will need the spacer added.

To check the stop's function, you can split the action, load a few cartridges in the tube and move the bolt back and forth with your fingers. You should get one and only one cartridge released per stroke. Sometimes the stop needs a little bending one way or another for proper functioning. Do be careful, the part is thin and easy to break through the screw hole.

The carrier has a spring-loaded rocker part that has a nub that rides the lever edges. If this nub is worn, you may have timing problems with the carrier, it either doesn't rise far enough or fails to drop far enough to pick up the next round. An ace weldor with a TIG could build this up for you, fitting with a file is the next step and if you've not done it before, it'll be tedious to get it properly timed. Numrich/Gun Parts may or may not have that part. You can see how the rocker works by operating the lever with the action split. The lever may or may not ride where it does with the action togethere, the small screw that holds the lever onto the right section is only there to do that, not as a pivot. Don't honk down on it trying to tighten the lever or it'll twist off. The lever actually pivots on the two tapered bosses on either side when the action is together. So timing may not be exactly the same when the gun is split. The takedown screw actually will tighten and loosen the lever pivot, also tweaks headspace a little.

Check the stop's spacer first, then the stop's function. Unless the thing has seen 100K+ rounds or was a barn gun with zero care, it's unlikely that the rocker nub has worn that much.

Stan S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info and i will check out those items that you mentioned,I forgot to mention this the rifle is vintage 1956 and i got it in 1980 it has had thousands of rounds put through it. i think what you mentioned about the rocker is the way to go. i think you may be right about the timing.thanks for the info.

john c

1 - 4 of 4 Posts