Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I am very new to forums I general and I am still learning how to navigate this site but I am in need of information. I inherited my late Grandfather's Father's old Marlin Model 39 lever action .22 and ever since I have been trying to narrow down how old it is where it might of been made etc. It had a Star stamp behind the Hammer (also where the model #is) and the serial is S10**. I have contacted museums but most say there are little to no records on thus model. Any information would be amazing I absolutely love this rifle and Marlins! My first deer, Marlin 30-30!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Photos of the gun would help.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
If the rifle is a Model 39A, 1959. If it is a Model 39, I don't know. The records were destroyed in a fire IIRC. We might narrow it down with pictures. If it is an older one, use only standard velocity ammo. I once had a 39 that was marked HS as a prefix to a serial number. It was made sometime in the mid to late thirties as that is when they first made the model that was rated for High Speed ammo.

Best wishes,

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
572 Posts
This is from the book by Brophy. The front sight bead was made of ivory from 1922 to 1934. From 1935 until 1938 the bead was silver-colored metal . The HS prefix came about 1932.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Captain-Ein, I have an S prefix Model 39 very similar to yours, and it is one of my favorite rifles. The star stamp was a kind of final inspector's stamp to indicate that the rifle met Marlin's fairly strict quality control requirements, nothing more and nothing less. These were extremely well made rifles and were among the best rimfires ever made. You definitely should only fire standard velocity or subsonic ammo in it, and be very careful with the sliding outside magazine tube as that tends to get messed up, and no one has developed a satisfactory fix for it.
As the others have said, it's impossible to put a firm date of manufacture on it, but it was probably made in about 1924 to 1926.
I hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy this fine old rifle.
Merry Christmas, Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts