Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone put on the new Williams Receiver Sight for the 336 Cowboy's?? If so, did you need to replace the front sight with a higher sight?? Did you leave the back sight on or did you take it off?

Just wanting to know. I know it's not a tang sight, but it's a small improvement over the buckhorn sight.

Thanks, Allen

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I had a 45/70 cowboy drilled and tapped and added a 5D. I left the rear sight on. I did not have to change the front sight. For a better sight picture, I remove the screw in apeture and use the 'ghost ring' along with the rear sight. It makes for a fast sight picture and more precision for my (unfortunately) aging eyes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I put the older Williams 5D side mount peep on my 30-30 CB. The 30-30 CB was still tapped on the side for the peep sight. I had to put a Marble's .573 front sight on it which is higher than the factory sight to get it to shoot POA at 100. (It was WAY high with the factory sight.)

Don't know about it if you use the newer top mount peep on yours. Also, don't know if you are shooting 30-30 or 38-55. Might make a difference.

I took the factory rear sight off and put in a dovetail blank. Makes it look a whole lot cleaner in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took my 38/55 to the smith to be drilled and tapped for a Lyman receiver sight and am adding a globe sight to the front. There is a formula they use for the hight of the front sight. I told them I would like it low enough for a 200 yd. zero.

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Try to go with the stock height and a folding rear leaf in place of the old rear sight that way you fold down the sight after you zero it and have it in case. I've had good luck with my 38-55CB and the lyman side mount. I would at any rate change the front to a firesight.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have the Williams WGRS on my 336CB 38/55. It is a great sight for that rifle. I also replaced the front sight with a Williams Green Fire sight. That rifle is a real tack driver. I removed the factory rear sight, it was in the way and I hate trying to look over them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts