Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the late 70's or early 80's I looked at Marlin model 336 rifles at K-Mart. The wood was normal plain wood, you know not very nice looking, just average. I then went to a gun shop and found a model 336 there that had a darker wood with beautiful grain. It was outstanding. The owner told me back then that the dedicated gun shops got better wood then the big chain stores. Is this true? Or was there a special stock option that you could purchase? The serial number is 22---------. This rifle is still in mint condition. This is amazing wood compared to all others I have seen on the internet. Thanks for any information. DSC_2583.JPG DSC_2585.JPG DSC_2587.JPG

·
Registered
569 Posts
Very nice wood, horrible see-through mounts. You may want to edit the full serial number out of your post and put something like 22****** in instead. Welcome to MO!

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
RickyS, Marlins made for K Mart had birch wood stocks as opposed to walnut on Marlin branded guns. And what the previous poster said, edit out the last few digits of the serial number. AC

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
you want that scope as low as it will go, that's some very nice wood you have! IMG_3240.jpg IMG_3242.jpg here is a rifle i saved from a pawn shop. it is a model 14 rem. carbine in the so called obsolete 30 rem. nothing is obsolete around my reloading shack. when i found it it had no bluing and so much crude on the wood you could just see the grain. the gun is tight with a perfect bore and shoots great. it was made in 1912 i hope others shows off there wood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How come the scope is mounted 12 inches above the receiver???

Chocdog
When I went deer hunting in 1981 with my friend he didn't have a rifle and he used my Marlin. He mounted the see through mounts and K-Mart 4X scope. I just never took them off. Maybe this year as this rifle has not been fired at an animal yet. It is still a virgin for that. I have been so busy hunting with all the other rifles I have. This one has only about 200 rounds through it at the range. That's one of the reasons it looks brand new. That and I take good care of it. I was worried about my weapons as they were locked in the gun safe while I contracted with the military in Iraq and Afghanistan for 5 years. All weapons held up fine and looked like the day I left for overseas. Just got home last June and made it to the gun range 1 time last year. (Too much other stuff to take care of when I got home. Honey-do list was 14 pages long) Made it to Bass Pro last year and bought a Henry Big Boy in 44 Mag but didn't get around to getting a good scope and mounts for the 336. I am not sure if I even want a scope on it. I like the iron sights fine. Hunting on my brothers property will give me a shot at a deer that will be from 25 to 50 yards. Iron sights work great for this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice wood, horrible see-through mounts. You may want to edit the full serial number out of your post and put something like 22****** in instead. Welcome to MO!
Please excuse my ignorance, but why do we need to protect the serial number. I did edit it.

·
Super Moderator
16,031 Posts
You don't have to...but then think about how small the world is and how honest , upfront everyone is....in there somewhere is a rat and he/she might just be willing to try and claim your firearm as a stolen one, or maybe there's a way to run numbers down, get private info, watch your house and then take your guns when your not at home.....not that no one here has ever lost a firearm to some low life! You can post yours if you want to... not I! Mr fixit

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Welcome to the Forum RickyS. Glad to have you aboard, and, nice looking Rifle you got there. See thru scope mounts...well :questionmark:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but why do we need to protect the serial number. I did edit it.
What mr fixit said. Although it's a very small chance, there are people who would use ser. #'s and claim your gun is stolen, especially when they can see a picture of it to add a description to their claim. Like I said, very small chance and it probably wouldn't happen, but my brother's a Sheriff's Deputy and has had told me about a few bogus stolen firearm claims from people who got hold of serial numbers. It's just something I've been nervous about since he told me.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! That's a really nice looking 336:biggrin: John

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Those high mounts were popular for so long it seems there are a million of them out there. Would you now call them period correct?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I've got a Set of them See Thru's that I'll Give Ya If'n Ya Want 'em.
Aint got No Use fer tha Dang Things.
They're a Downright Abomination in Design.

By the Way Beautiful Wood on the those Guns
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Great lookin rifle RickyS! Those see-thrus were all around at one time. My first and only set I put on a Remington 700 30-06. They were terrible. My FIL didn't like em too much and had a weaver flip-over mount on his 30-30.

My 336 came from Gibson's Discount in '76 and it looked GOOD compared to the Glenfield next to it (I tend to like the looks of the old Glennys now), but it only had plain walnut on it. You are probably correct that the box stores got the plainer wood. Don't know that there would be any way of verifying it tho'.

Mop

·
Registered
34 Posts
I refinished the wood on a 336 I purchased. nothing special when I got it, and only did it to get some nasty scratches out . I think the factory finish hides the beauty of the grain a bit . get complements on her all the time now. stock wood tru oil finish. in the process of doing my 1984 now.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts