Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pretty nice Marlin today. A Model 336 chambered in 35 Remington. Got nearly three full boxes of old Federal factory ammo with the deal. It's pretty clean....I'm confident it's close to 98%...a few screws bungied up....but other than that...nice wood and nice blue.

A few pics are attached (sorry, I did not have time to wipe the gun down before snapping the pictures).

Question(s):

With the less-than full length tube magazine, is this considered a rifle, a carbine, a short rifle???

With standard rifling (non-micro groove) is this gun "more desirable" in the market?

If I put the gun on the classifieds, where would you recommend I price it to be fair to both parties?

Thank you!
Bob

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It's called the Model 336SC, or sporting carbine. 1955 was the first year 336 frames came factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts; and your rifle will also have the desirable Ballard rifling, the change to Micro Groove rifling taking place in 1956 (the one exception being the 1955 model 336SC/219 Zipper, which was always produced with Micro Groove rifling).

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
She's a real beauty! If you decide to sell I'd like first chance.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
vonfatman,

That's a beautiful rifle or ummmm, carbine!!! ;)

The 20" barrel makes it a carbine, the magazine length doesn't matter.

I wish I had the funds to make you an offer on it myself!!!
I have a '55 336rc in .35 rem, the craftsmanship of rifles produced during that time period is of very high quality!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd give you $100 no questions asked. ;D Seriously, that is a great looking rifle. I have a feeling I'll have to add a nice vintage model like that down the road. Nice acquisition!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gents...I'm happy to have added this rifle to my meager Marlin accumulation.

I needed another gun like a whole in my head, but what can a guy do when he's offered such a clean example?

Thanks for the information on this model. I do not have many Marlins and depend upon all you folks with experience to get me up to speed. I suppose if the "addiction"/affliction continues I will need to start to buy some reference manuals/books.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
vonfatman....
Do yourself a huge favor and delete the two photos showing the full serial # or smudge them in Paint Shop and re-post. Scammers will use those given the opportunity.

Very Nice Find. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts