Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this fit together?

A seller stating to sell a model 336 in .44 Magnum, giving me a picture detail of the barrel who says so and a total picture taken from the right side of the rifle showing clearly (at least for me) a 30/30 calibre rifle.

AM I to leery or is such a thing really existing?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
That is a 336-Magnum. It has the same receiver as the 336- 30-30. It is just like the one I have. They are a little on the rare side. The one I have is more accurate than my 1894- 44 mag. I am shooting the 300 gr Lee cast bullet in the one I have.

Some say that there is a jamming problem with them and that is the reason that Marlin discontinued the rifle. I don’t know about that, some more knowledgeable here on MO will know. I have never had a problem with the one I have. If it does it can be repaired. There is supposed to be an adjusting screw on the front of the receiver where it can be adjusted to help alleviate the jamming from what I have read here on MO.

This is a picture of the one that I have. It is the second one from the bottom on the first picture.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unbelievable! :eek:

Thank you for enlighten me, I would have lost any kind of bet if I would have done one.
I was convinced that this seller is a fiddler screwing up stupid buyers, like I have seen it already before. ::)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The 336/44Mag was first cataloged in 1963 and last cataloged in 1967 or '68. At that point Marlin reintroduced the Model 1894 and chambered that gun for the 44 Mag cartridge, as its shorter frame is ideally suited to pistol/pistol length cartridges.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
1894 44 Mag - I would of backed up your bets. Learned something new today. I never knew a 336 44 magnum existed. Could be an interesting buy if it's not too expensive. Good luck. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
One thing that I did forget to mention is that with the lighter 336 frame the heavy loads kicks like an Army Mule. If I let the stock work up on the ball of my shoulder while shooting, it will hurt for 3 or 4 days after that. If you keep it firm into the pocket of you shoulder its ok.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm good to know... what about the "original 30/30 ammo out of a common 336?
For my feeling this thing shoots o.k., thought it is a "strong" load.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
There is no problem with the recoil on the 30-30 with the 336 frame. There is a difference between 30-30 with 170 gr bullet though and the 44 mag with a 300 gr bullet with a max charge.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes of course that's right! I forgot about the impulse of different masses. :-[

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
1894 .44 Mag said:
Hmm good to know... what about the "original 30/30 ammo out of a common 336?
For my feeling this thing shoots o.k., thought it is a "strong" load.
30-30 's ain't got much of a kick.... unless you're the deer ;D However, you'll notice the difference with a .35Rem. At least I do...

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would say the 35 Rem and the 30/30 are about the same with the older cup and core Ammo bought at the local Ma and Pa store. How ever load the 35 Remington up to shoot 2200 FPS and your going to feel some on the shoulder . Not anything you might encounter with say the 3006.
If reciol is a issue then maybe pull the gun stock tight into your shoulder .

To me the 30/30 was the next step up from the .22 .

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Iv got both a 94 and a 336-44. The 336 handles recoil better than the 1894 but neither hurts. The 336 has a fancy cartridge stop and a cartridge leveler on the lifter that work great, as long as they work. I suspect though that it would be hard to find replacement parts for the lifter. It's also got a much longer than needed lever throw. Honestly, between those two thing, plus the 336 being heavier, I tend to like the 1894 better. But I'm not getting rid of the 336! ;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Did you say the 336 frame was lighter then the 1894 frame?

I have a 1894 in 22 Mag and CB 20" 357, and a 336 44 mag. The 336 receiver is about a inch longer then the 1984 receiver. The 336 is way heavier then the 22 Mag but the CB is heavier then the 336. I believe it's because of the octagonal barrel.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Miller6457 said:
Did you say the 336 frame was lighter then the 1894 frame?
Matt
Yes I did say that the 336 was lighter than the 1894 but after checking the Marlin sight I found that I was wrong. The 336 is listed at 7 lbs and the 1894 is listed at 6 to 6.5 lbs. I learn something new every day but to me in handling and shooting the two rifles the 336 feels lighter to me.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Maybe the balance is better?

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I don’t think there is any difference in the balance. I had read here before that the 336 mag was lighter than the 1894 and others said that there was more felt recoil on the 336 Mag. I had just always assumed that the 336 44 Mag was lighter because there was a noticeable difference to me. At the time that I was carrying the 1894 hunting I had a Bushnell banner 3X9-40 scope on it and that would have made it heavier. I have since removed the scope and trying to shoot it with open sights. That would have made a difference in the weight over the light 4 power Weaver that is on the 336 Mag.

I checked the Marlin sight for the difference in weight of the 336 modern rifles after your question. I am not sure what the specks was on the weight of the 336 Mag. Maybe Leverdude can tell us.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Those are comparatively rare. From what I gather they are not reliable weapons. I would buy a 444 myself.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If I had a scale I would measure it.

Maybe I'll take it in to the grocery section at Happy Foods and weigh it on the Fruit & Veggie scale ;D

I've only run about 2 boxes (100 rds) through it, didn't have and problems. But the lever throw is a lot longer then the 1894 357.

I would bet that the 336 44mag would be heavier then the 1894 44 mag. Anyone have both?

Matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts