Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. Thank you for reading. I recently acquired a model 3000 which is lower end model from Big 5, I think. Anyway, I've taken it apart and cleaned everything but I am still unable to load a second round into the tube. I can force it in but it dents the brass. It seems to me that the loading gate when pushed down hits the lever. If I open the action slightly, the lever moves out of the way enough to get enough clearance to push another round in. I have tried to read the relevant posts here about bent loading gates and loose screws but they don't seem to be my issue. My next guess would be removing material from the bottom of the loading gate so that it doesn't impact the lever which in my mind would create the needed clearance. I've had it apart quite a few times now. I hope someone can shed some light on this issue for me.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Hello and welcome.
Modifying the loadgate is something people do to ease
loading, and we have a vendor (Ranger Point Precision)
who sells an aftermarket loadgate.
But you shouldn't need to do this. Something is wrong.
I would sugest taking a wooden dowell rod and run it
in thru the loadgate, into the mag tube just to make sure
nothing is binding in there.
Next, I would strip the gun down, and polish the feed throat
which is the area between the load gate and the mag tube.
I use a cordless drill, with a piece of wooden dowel rod,and
sand paperwrapped around and taped to it.
I usually start with 800 and then go to 1000
There is a notch inside the action just behind the loadgate
that can be opened up some and polished.
This will ease loading some.
There is also a cartridge notch in the top of the lever.
This can be opened up slightly and polished.
The top of the carrier can also be polished.
I hope this is helpful.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
You're welcome,
Another thing-
If you are using Hornady LVR ammo
The tips of these sometimes will lodge between the wall of
the mag tube and them old steel followers.
Could be all you need is a different kind of ammo,
or a new follower.

It's okay here.

Reactions: bbuhlman

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Welcome to the forum..
Just curious, Did you try to load the rifle prior to taking it apart (disassemble) for a cleaning? If the rifle loaded up fine before the disassembly, I would say something is out of place when you tried reassembling it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Maki00,
Unfortunately, I didn’t load it before I cleaned it. It had been sitting in a closet for 20+
years and after that I went directly to the range. I can load one in the tube fine and it will cycle into the chamber
and fire fine and eject fine. The trouble loading comes after the first cartridge is in the tube.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your spring in the follower correctly?
Hi thelineman,
Hopefully I am understanding you correctly. Is the loading gate the spring you are talking about and is the follower the groove, where the tang part of the spring fits into the receiver secured by the one small screw? If so, yes, I believe its in the follower correctly. I've had it apart several times with the spring out and it seems to tighten up in the groove fine. The spring has a bow in it though, I hope this is normal. Sorry if I don't have the parts nomenclature correct and you are talking about something else. Please have patience with me.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi thelineman,
Hopefully I am understanding you correctly. Is the loading gate the spring you are talking about and is the follower the groove, where the tang part of the spring fits into the receiver secured by the one small screw? If so, yes, I believe its in the follower correctly. I've had it apart several times with the spring out and it seems to tighten up in the groove fine. The spring has a bow in it though, I hope this is normal. Sorry if I don't have the parts nomenclature correct and you are talking about something else. Please have patience with me.
No. I am talking about the magazine tube spring and the magazine tube follower. Sometimes when you put it back together, the spring does not go into the follower correctly, causing the spring to be between the tube and the follower.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
This is similar to a problem I had with my 1894...

Not sure how far you stripped your 3000. Did you take the magazine tube out of the receiver?
If so, there is a recess in the forward part of the receiver where the magazine tube sits. It the mag tube is not down inside it, this can cause the problem you describe. The mag tube looks to be in the correct position, but it is not correctly sited and overlaps the feed channel of the receiver. On my 1894, it would allow one round to be loaded, and no others until I reseated the mag tube.

You will need to take off the fore end stock to check this. Upon reassembly, the mag tube may need to be flexed a bit closer to the barrel when putting the barrel band back on and feeding the screws.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No. I am talking about the magazine tube spring and the magazine tube follower. Sometimes when you put it back together, the spring does not go into the follower correctly, causing the spring to be between the tube and the follower.
Thelineman,
I never removed the spring until tonight. I have the old metal follower and its late and I didn't remove the follower but I will probably tomorrow. You guys have helped and I think we are on the right track now with the tube and follower. If I have one in the tube and I push a dowel repeatedly up the tube it seems the round gets stuck somewhere in the tube sometimes but not all the time. A also noticed that sometimes if I push the first round so its nose it pointed down the second round will load fine. I can't do this consistently though. The only thing that works consistently is if open the action about 1/8', then I am able to push the second round in every time. I am using dummy rounds with 160grn RNFP to test with (no primer or powder) OAL 2.485. I didn't remove the follower to look at it because it didn't come out but did slide freely back and forth. Thanks everyone for your knowledge and patience!

-Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HIkayaker,
thank you, I didn’t see your post till after I replied to thelineman. I’ll check this out! I did not remove the tube from the receiver but what what you say makes sense.
thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is similar to a problem I had with my 1894...

Not sure how far you stripped your 3000. Did you take the magazine tube out of the receiver?
If so, there is a recess in the forward part of the receiver where the magazine tube sits. It the mag tube is not down inside it, this can cause the problem you describe. The mag tube looks to be in the correct position, but it is not correctly sited and overlaps the feed channel of the receiver. On my 1894, it would allow one round to be loaded, and no others until I reseated the mag tube.

You will need to take off the fore end stock to check this. Upon reassembly, the mag tube may need to be flexed a bit closer to the barrel when putting the barrel band back on and feeding the screws.

Good luck.
Good Afternoon Hikayaker,
I pulled the fore end stock off and pulled the feed tube this morning. I cleaned and lubed the tube. I'm sure the tube was in correctly or the barrel band screw wouldn't fit. Anyway, everything is back together and the behavior is the same. There is one new detail that I did notice, the bottom screw that holds the trigger guard plate into the receiver isn't flush with the receiver end of the feed tube. At first I thought that this wouldn't matter but on second thought, after the first round is pushed in, conceivably the rim of the first round could get caught in this hole. The follower would be farther up the tube so it wouldn't be in the way. What do you guys think? I've added a picture to illustrate the point. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here but its a steep learning curve here! Thanks again!

View attachment 727206

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
If the rifle sat in the closet for 20+ years it is possible there is rust build up inside the mag tube... Shine a light down it and have a look see...

Reactions: bbuhlman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did determine if I push the first round up the tube about 1" with a piece of stiff wire and then push the second round in while the first is still farther up the tube the second round loads fine. Sounds like its an obstruction in the tube or its my dummy rounds. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

-Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to let you know how this turned out, there must have been something in the tube, rust or something because everything is fine now, I can push at least 5 up the tube without obstruction and they cycle through and eject. I didn't change a thing, I guess it was magic! I will get some range time this weekend...

Thanks to everyone who replied with your wisdom...

-Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update - I loaded up some 158gr SNS coated FP boolits with 17.5 gr. of H4895 and went to the range. With open sights I was hitting in the black at 100yds. Pretty cool plinking load. A bit sooty but it shot well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.