Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the change to Model 27-S, the only other key difference I can find is the Forend Slide / Action Bar. The old style is shorter than the new style, and is noted as such in catalog parts illustrations. What I am looking for, is catalogs that do not show the new style action bar with the extension. I am trying to narrow down a time frame on a 27-S with the old style action bar. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
If you check Brophy's book, page 448, you will see that the difference between the 27 and 27S is the little pushbutton mechanism that releases the bolt, with a cartridge in the chamber, without lowering the hammer. That change was made in 1910, so the 27 was only made for a bit over one year.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Brophy had a hard time pin-pointing certain changes due to the serious lack of factory documentation. The transition from 27 to 27-S is well outlined, though. My point of interest lies with the difference in the action bar on the 27-S. Mine has the shorter "Old Style". What I am after is what year the "New Style" with the forend extension arrived. I was hoping that parts breakdown diagrams in the catalogs might offer a clue as to when the "New Style" first appeared.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I took a look through all my old Marlin catalogs. Unfortunately, the early pre WWI era catalogs have a breakdown photo, but post WWI era catalogs don't have any pictures of the internals of the gun, and external pictures look to be identical reprints of the pre WWI era catalogs.
My early parts catalogs don't state any data for date of change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts