Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this old Model 27 and be darn if I can figure out what activates the loading gate. Any body "Help":hmmmm:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Are you having problems loading?
The carrier picks cartridge up and the bolt holds it. If the bolt is wore it may not be holding it correctly.
B-27S-BoltWithCartridge.jpg F-ReceiverAndCartridgeCarrierAndLift.jpg

This rifle has the safety lock on it, so if yours is a 1909 27 made before that style - carrier may be slightly different
Hopes this helps

·
Registered
116 Posts
27boltcarrier.JPG
Another picture of my 27 that may help. See the front of the bolt, check the rectangular piece at bottom. If yours is damaged the cartridge may not be staying in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm probably wrong but I suspect you are seeking to load the rifle.
If I'm in error please ignore my ramblings.
If I am correct read on.
A "loading gate" is generally found on lever rifles in the right side of the receiver, the Colt pump and its clones being one excdption.
To load a Marlin 27 grasp the end of the outer magazine tube and while depressing the locking lever pull the outer tube off of the inner tube. This will expose the "loading port".
Hk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is the model 27 not the 27s. Your action looks a lot different. Not as many parts . Do you see the loading gate? What pushes it up to throw a round in the carrier. When I pull back on the pump the forend rod looks like it want's to push the carrier up to allow the shell to fly into the carrier. My 27 is set up alittle different. I only have three parts. The bolt, carrier and cartride cut off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the carrier push the cartridge cutoff down or does the cocking rod push it down when you activate the pump handel to the rear? Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Horse Lady! If you look at your picture and see the cartridge cut off ( the "U" shaped peice just below the carrier that is attached by one screw from under neath the frame. This is what I'm confused about. If you could put the forend handle in this place, does the handel push it up when you pump the action. Or does the carrier come down, and push it down in order to release a round into the carrier it self? Thank you. And please excuse me on asking so many question's. I'm new to forum activity. This is my first run at this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are in luck, I also have a 27 without the safety added. These are little rarer than the others as they were only made in 1909. The part you are talking about is the spring (looks like a leaf spring on a pickup) at the bottom front?
27receiver.JPG
I will also warn you that the tolerances on my 27 have to be right on or there will be a problem. Many headaches involved with my learning about the 27 so don't worry about asking questions. Seems you get one part to work, then another hidden problem surfaces. With much patience, the experience of shooting these 100 year old guns is worth it.
Okay go here to Numrich arms to get the names of parts 27 Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts

Now, the part you are talking about in "Marlin speech" is the cartridge cut off not loading ramp. The carrier pivots like a teeter totter around the pin. First rearward movement of the slide causes the carrier to push the cartridge cut off down, releasing only one cartridge onto the carrier. As slide continues rearward movement the carrier lifts the cartridge into feeding position. When slide is moved forward the projection on the lower bolt guides the cartridge into the chamber. The bolt face then pushes the cartridge into the chamber.
If your gun does all this - then hopefully you have a winner, if not tell me what it is not doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank You for the help. I'm a so called gunsmith and as I get older I seem to get dummer. I already see my problem's. First my carrier will not go far enough downward to kick in the cartrideg cut off. The reason seems to be the forend slide has a oblong hole instead off a round hole where it attaches to the slide. I bought the old style slide from Numrich hoping this would be the right part. It probaly is, but the part is not correct when I look at your slide. I also have a peice broken off of the rectangle peice that you talked about. The one molded in the frame just above the take down screw hole where the carrier rest's after a round is loaded. I will have to find the right slide. I can't tell by the photo, but is there another part attached to that rectangle peice? Its a pleasure to visit with someone who has a original 27. What a shooter (single shot at least). My mother killed many deer in south Tx. with this gun. My cousin borrowed the gun for one deer season and it came back missing peices. A little history about a gun with a 3 digit serial #. Mother passed away 2 years ago and before she passed she gave it to me knowing I would fix it and pass it on to my childern. So thank you so much."Whoa!" I did not know you could click on the picture to enlarge the image. My rifle is completly diffrent! My rifle has less parts than yours. Is your rifle a model 27 S ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
My Dad left me 16 Marlins, 9 of which are over 100 years old. Each one seems to have a personality of its own. My 27 has serial #1796 so it is old but not as old as yours. I have it for sale on rifles for sale forum - it is down to page 5. I had it sold, but then found it had some problems when I actually got some ammo (50 cartridges for $87) it wouldn't lock up. Got new firing pin from Numrich and that solved that. But I will tell you, you have to really man handle the slide forward to get the gun to fire consistently. I can not work it so hubby has to do that part, but it shoots great for me.
model27.JPG
I don't see how you could have less parts because gun needs everything shown in my picture to work. Compare to the last post - that is my 27. The 27-S in the top post has the safety parts.
The broken part is underneath the bolt in the back, machined part of the receiver? That is a stop and my 27 is broke there from someone consistently slamming it back too hard year after year. Check out the picture on my last post. The part slotted in it on the bottom is held in by a tiny screw and it moves up and down on a tiny spring in the rear part. That part that moves has to do with the trigger function - releasing it so the trigger will cause the gun to fire. If you look at the top pictures you can see this complete part. In my 27, I was going to have a gunsmith put a pin in that area as a stop, but have found out that my gun works great with out it.
Now to the carrier not going down far enough- I had similar problem with one of my 29's. It has to do with the locking bolt where it comes against the carrier. I had newer one in an old 25S, so I thought I would swap them as the old 25S is not shootable. Same part but 29 would not bring a cartridge in. Put old one back in and it worked fine. These parts seem to be hand fitted at the factory. Check the movement on the locking bolt against the carrier.
I have learned so much on these guns. Know if timing of one little part is off a hair, the gun will not work, then you have to track down what is not working in rhythm.
Good luck, hopes this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I do not know if the slide with the oblong hole will work on your 27. Believe it will only work on the 27S because it was changed the same time that the safety button was added.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is a revision on the loading and chambering sequence for the 27 and the 27S. Went back and actually looked, not trusting my memory, which is getting as rusty as an old gun.
What actually drops the cartridge cut off is the bottom of the slide bar.
When the gun is fully locked up, the cartridge cut off is depressed allowing one cartridge to go on to carrier, as in when you are initially loading the rifle.
The previous explanation of the how the carrier lifts and chambers the cartridge is correct.
After firing and ejecting the spent case, the cartridge that was on the carrier is then loaded and when the forearm is moved completely forward, the bottom of the slide bar will once again lower the cartridge cut off allowing another cartridge to be pushed on to the carrier.
NOTE: whenever the slide is forward and the gun is fully locked up, the cartridge cut off will be depressed.
There is a notch in the slide bar that the cartridge cut off falls into when cycling the action.
It is VERY important when reassembling the rifle to have the bolt / forearm and slide bar slightly out of battery (bolt not locked up) so that the cartridge cut off can fall into the notch.
If this is not done the cartridge cut off may NOT go below the slide bar causing feeding issues.
For these old pump guns to run smoothly you MUST bring the slide bar/forearm forward with sufficient momentum to lock the bolt in place AND depress the cartridge cut off.
If that regime is consistently followed the rifle will run smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Horse Lady! I think Marlin made a batch of diffrent Model 27's. My rifle also has the bolt stop broken in the same spot as yours. Get this! My rifle does not have a screw hole what so ever in the bolt stop. Pertaining to yours, nor does it have a place for the "L" shaped devise with the spring located under the bolt stop. I've seen lots of guns but these take the cake. I have the same parts that you have on the latter picture, except for the "L" shape device located under the bolt stop. No where located on the bolt stop is there a screw hole for a screw and a milled out (hand fitted) place for the "L" shaped device. This old gun has not had any work performed on it except for me. I agree, they are a blast to shoot. I have been shooting mine single shot. By the way my serial # is 241. Thanks Again

·
Registered
116 Posts
I really think some of these old guns were made as a "work in progress" with so many variations. My old 20-A on which the 27 was based - except the 27 is bigger - do not have the part you are talking about, and they work fine. Think it was an upgrade sometime after yours. Who knows? Unfortunately these rifles appear to be the strong silent type when it comes to talking trade secrets. My old ones, 25, 20-A, 29, all seem different yet share the same parts in other spots. Believe all rifles were hand fitted before they were shipped from factory, now that is a pay extra option. I got couple firing pins for some of them from Numrich arms and they had to be hand fitted. Good luck and keep your powder dry. Look at my post 3 of a kind and you will see my 27 beside a 20A and a 29. Similar but different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Horse Lady! Sorry about not getting back to you. Update! The problem with my 27 was the wrong slide bar. Numrich showed the new slide bar, so I ordered it because they where out of the old style. Well I happened to order some other parts for a different rifle and just happened to check if they had the old style in stock. Well low and behold they did. So I ordered it. Installed it and my 27 works like a new gun. I'm happy as a lark. The new style has a longer slot, where the old style has a shorter slot for the cartridge stop to lye in when cocking the forend. Thanks again for all the help and pictures. Again I'm sorry for not replying back to you. I have health issues and have been out of commission lately. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
HorseLady......your sounding more and more like an aficionado of fine old marlins. You better hang on to the best of the lot. I think your dad handed down more than just a few guns. :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts