Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mode 26, #A1243 and a 1898, #57095. The 1898 has a 30" 12 gage barrel and is complete. The 26 I bought the receiver and parts and have found some different features inside the receiver, there is a grove cut just at the level of the bottom of the bolt that runs almost the full lenght of t he receiver and at the end of the cut there is a larger cut. This grove seems to be for the locking bolt to slide in or a different bolt, with a rail that runs in this grove. Could some one come up with the different features the 26 came with so I may be able to locate parts for it. If any one knows were there is a picture of a 26 please let me know.

Thankj, you

Emmett

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Locking bolt

I was playing around with the locking bolt out of the 1898 and trying to see how it lined up with the cut in the receiver of the 26. I can see now that the locking bolt is different for the 26, it has a rail that runs in the this grove to support the bolt better. If you have read about the early models of this shotgun there was a problem with the bolt coming out of battery and I think this rail on the locking bolt was the fix for it. The 26 also has a differnt shell stop than the 89. I am looking for a barrel for this shotgun, if someone has a 26 inch please reply.

Any more info on this shotgun would be welcome.

Thank, you

Emmett

·
Registered
394 Posts
From June 1898 to January 1899, the shotgun was called, simply, "The Standard Gun". These can be identified by the lack of a push-button bolt release on the right rear of the receiver. I have one of these in the Grade "C" configuration. Indeed, they will lock in the out-of-battery position if you don't stroke the action properly. I discovered that when I tried to chamber a second shot for a ruffed grouse. These models do have a safety sear that holds the hammer at full cock until the bolt is locked up properly. These guns are high quality, but had a few design flaws that were remedied in early 1899. Yes, Marlin has a disclaimer on these guns, but I would think that it is just good sense for them to avoid lawsuits!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Locking bolt

The statement I made about the model 26 having a different locking bolt is not true, the 26 has the same locking boltas the 98. I found the J.B. Wood book, The Gun Digest Book of Firearms, the shootgun volume, it has the tear down of the Model 26 with pictures and the groove on the left hand side of the receiver is shown with no parts installed in it.

Still looking for any info I can get on this gun.

Thank, you

Emmett

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The early Marlin shotgun designs were rife with flaws, and there was an on-going process of improvements. This is why you will see model variations like 19 - 19G - 19S, etc & so forth. There are not very many parts that will interchange among the various shotgun models. Except the magazine & barrel assemblies.

This trend carried over to the different pump CF guns & having recently made one from 3.75 pumps, there is little interchangeability there, too. SW

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the first Model 1896 Marlin and a 98 later Model and the Model 26 Marlin one of the last models exposed hammer gun. There is no difference betwen the 1898 first editions and the Model 26 other than the recoil safety block and the fixed barrel. The only diffencen between the early model and the later 98's is there is no recoil safety block in the early model. The only flaw with the early 98 was that if you pulled the trigger down on a shell and it did not go off, you could open the bolt and have a round go off with the bolt out of battery. The new 98's locked up when the bolt closed and could not be opened until you unlocked the safety hook from the bolt. Today you should wait thirty seconds before opening the bolt one any firearm so a not to have an out of battery blast. So now to the point the shotgun was rife with flaws is not true, the user may have used bad judgement operating the firearm and become injured. The improvements were made in a safety device to make the user think before opening the bolt with a live round in chanber.

Thank, you

Emmett

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ah, but if there were no flaws, why was there a series of internal changes that continued until the shotguns were dropped altogether? SW

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing changed on the shotgun was the recoil safety block and again the model 26 fixed barrel. There were changes made to the 49 to help stablize the bolt. The Marling has gotten a bad rap because the manufacture has deemed they are unsafe to shoot, droves of people are shooting them and enjoying the shotguns

Emmett

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yep! Lotsa people shoot them to this very day! :D Including me! But if the company was happy with them, why so many changes? Model 19 - 19G - 19S - 19D - 19N; Model 17 - 17S - 17G.... there are others. The changes were ofen small things like placement of a screw. Leads me to believe the factory was just not happy with the way things were working... or were they getting well-founded complaints?

By way of contrast, how many changes have been made to the 336? Few, if any because it was a sound design to begin with. SW

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pump Shotgun

Being that you own one of these shotguns you will be able to point out these changes your talking about and the flaws. I have never had anyone point these out and I think it would be interesting to anyone owning one of these shotguns to read and know them.

Thank, you

Emmett

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found an upgraded part that was used in the last two or three years of the production run of this shotgun. The part is the recoil safety block that used a spring loaded detent in lieu of a leaf spring. The first 1898 had now safety block, the next version had a safety block with an integrial hook and leaf springs, the next version had a seperate block and hook with leaf springs and the latter as stated above. I just bought a box of Marlin parts and one of the detent blocks was in there.

Emmett

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New parts for the 26

I purchased a new lot of parts to help put the 26 together and found a locking bolt that had a rail on its side that rides in the grove cut into the 26 that is not in the 1898 receiver. As this rail on the locking block runs down the gorve in the receiver there is a cut out so the locking bolt rail can rise into so it may lock the shotgun up and ready to fire. The only thing that this rail on the locking bolt could be used for is to stableize the bolt. The new feature on the locking bolt may have been to stop the locking up of the bolt in the receiver and not being able to close the shotgun. Anyway if you are looking to buy a locking bolt for your 26 make sure you get the right part.

I just picked up a 1898 receiver with parts, no wood or barrel. The only reason I bought it was that I saw that the receiver was not drilled for the recoil safty block which was not in the early reciever and there was only on screw holding the locking bolt in and knew right away that this was one of the first editions of this shotgun. The other thing I noticed was that the face of the bolt has no plug in it and no extractor on the left side of the bolt face just an extension of the rail out to lock up in the barrel.

I hope someone else can give up some info on these shotguns!

Emmett

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I finished putting together the 1898 shotgun tonight and learned a couple tricks to solve problems with bolt, carrier and cartrage stop.

I have a few parts for the 98 shotgun, I'm looking for wood parts and a barrel, if anyone is interested in a trade or sale contact via [email protected].

Thank, you

Emmett

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a Model 17 stock and forearm and I don't know if these items are the same and original to the Model 26. The major difference from the older forearm is the metal brackets that keep the screws from chewing up the wood. If anyone knows if they are the same please post.

Thanks

Emmett

1 - 15 of 15 Posts