Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a model 1895 this week thinking because it said north haven on it and not illion like the marlins next to it on the rack, I was buying a conneticut made one. it turns out after researching on this forum, it is a Remington made. I could see no faults on the surface. the fit and finish is excellent. I took it to my gunsmith, and he was impressed with the build quality. I still was concerned till I took it to the range. it functioned flawlessly sighted right in and was very accurate. I guess I dodged the bullet. I hope for the sake of potential marlin buyers that this is not a fluke, and Remington is producing better marlins and their quality control is getting better. time will tell. as for me and this purchase, I am very happy with it. there was guy there that was a member of our range, and he told me he bought a 1895 guide gun last year, and he had the same experience as me and he was very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Hey BR11,

Welcome to MO.

Those 1895's are highly "addicting". LOL

Later, Mark

·
Administrator
27,850 Posts
br11, Welcome to Marlin Owners.

Glad to hear you dodged the bullet and got a good one. They're still hit and miss so good for you.

Now being a new member I know you aren't aware of this but it didn't happen without pictures... in other words... we like pictures! :biggrin:

Not to mention, range reports with pictures of targets and whatever.

Jack

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Administrator
27,850 Posts
bump

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Some here really dislike the Remlins. There have been some guns with bad wood fit. The new ones on the rack that I have seem (336 and 1895 models) have been pretty decent. I am waiting on production of the 338MXLR to resume. However, I am hesitant to go ahead and order one, sight unseen. For now, I am optimistic as to the new guns. Time will tell once they hit the shelves. While all of mine are "JM" stamped, I am not set against the new ones.
The bad part about the 1895 guns is that they are just fun to shoot and take hunting.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
br11, welcome to theMO Family, from here in west central Mo. Picked a nice way to start your Marlinitis, enjoy. Take care, John.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Welcome from Va.

Not to hi-jack the thread but...I have a JM stamped 1895 SS. It's blue...Is it mismarked? Is SS supposed to designate Stainless Steel?
It's not Remlin and the fit and finish are fantastic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BR11,

My 1895G is stamped Ilion on the barrel. I am very pleased with the looks of mine. It has turned out to be a very good shooter as well. I think that you will really enjoy yours, especially if you handload.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey old 45-70 your marlin is correctly stamped. Doesnt mean stainless steel, it designates the sporter safety.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts