Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an "As New" Model 1895 made in 1972 (S/N B000xxxxx) with hand checkering on stock and forend with a williams peep sight. Does anyone know if this may have been produced at Marlin in New Haven? Did they have a Custom Shop back in 1972? Does anyone know how to get more info on this?

Thanks for any help or insight you may provide, books to buy etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
No idea...but I reckon you should put up a picture of it! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I wouldnt doubt they did. I have this 64' 444 and its got some "unique" character to it, i would think custom...

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Thank you Mattellis2, it surely does have some pretty wood on it. The stock is a bit loooong for me, but i hate to cut it. First thing i would like to change the pad to something thinner, probably a Pachmayer.... One of these days :flute:, i like my 1895G and if i need a Big Bore thats my pick...

Thanks again.
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Thanks T, did you ever see it before :hmmmm:, i need to get some nicer pics 1 of these days, and a nice group pic of all my favorites.... :driver:

BG4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hey guys, do you think it would look bad or ruin the look if i WHACKED an inch off that stock :hmmmm: Thats what i really need to do to make it usable for me, thats why i dont shoot it often its just not comfy and dont feel good/right!!!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
This is the gun that MADE Me get a 1895G :shot:, just wanted a gun that fit right, AND really kinda like 45-70 over 444 :tee:, but at the price woo hoo, i could NOT refuse it!!!!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Hey guys, do you think it would look bad or ruin the look if i WHACKED an inch off that stock :hmmmm: Thats what i really need to do to make it usable for me, thats why i dont shoot it often its just not comfy and dont feel good/right!!!
:ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh::ahhhhh:

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
ooops, Gater i guess it was just a little bit!!! :flute: sorry, but you know it aint a thread with no stinkin pics :driver:

Tx, i guess not huh!? :tee:

·
Registered
491 Posts
That is not factory checkering, someone has done that. It takes a skilled person to checker on a round surface and get the lines to meet on the other side to the diamonds. Steve!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Here is Gun Broker link with photos to the one I bought. 1895 Marlin 45-70 CUSTOM B Rifle : Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
As soon as it gets here I will post new photos. But would really want to find out if this "Custom" work was done by Marlin. Anyone know how I can find out?
By the way, the pics Ray posted of his looks fantastic!!
Thank you, the BEST way i know is to ask "Tomray" or "KON" both members here and formerly From Marlin Factory!!! :tee:

BG4570

Thats a fine lookin 45-70 you bought, Congrats :tee:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
bg... that is awfull purty!! so is that one you just got dekluttz!!! really nice!

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
90 Posts
BG, a custom gun is truly that custom, therefore, make it "your" custom.

If you did a good job cutting and fitting, I'm sure no one would be able to tell that you cut the stock.
And I'm sure it would still look just as nice!!

I would cut it to fit me if I were the one that owned it.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I wouldnt doubt they did. I have this 64' 444 and its got some "unique" character to it, i would think custom...

BloodGroove4570
OMG..maybe the most beautiful Marlin I have ever seen......i'd pay a lot of money for that man...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts