Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble cycling 2.88 OAL rounds thru the receiver.
My question, Is there any published data for the case overall lenght for the marlin 45-90 round for the model 1895.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Yes, Cartridges of the World states the OAL as 2.88" for loaded round, and 2.40" for OAL on case.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marlin man ............worked on the problem last night and found that the longest lenght tha will work in my 95 is 2.78 in long, how could this be with the stated lenght of 2.88 not able to function in the rifle. i did look in an old lyman # 43 loading manual , the OAL for the 45-90 is 2.71 in this publication. Have I got a problem with my gun???????.

·
Registered
316 Posts
norton buffalo said:
Marlin man ............worked on the problem last night and found that the longest lenght tha will work in my 95 is 2.78 in long, how could this be with the stated lenght of 2.88 not able to function in the rifle. i did look in an old lyman # 43 loading manual , the OAL for the 45-90 is 2.71 in this publication. Have I got a problem with my gun???????.
NBuff,
My specs, RCBS.Load, show a max COAL of 2.718. I'd say ur doin' fine at 2.78. The longer spec is probably more for single shots. Your throat is going to affect that length as well, will 2.78 chamber and bolt close ez? I've been thinking about getting my H&R Buffalo Hunter reamed out a tad to accomadate the longer round, but find full house 45/70 with the steel butt MORE than enough to handle.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
It appears the data in Cartridges of the World is in error, as I too went to several vintage Ideal relaoding manuals in my library, and they all state the OAL at 2.718" also. Looks like your gun is fine, but CotW data is wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts