Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited my grandfather's model 1894. Ser# 130xxx with an octagonal barrel and a half length magazine tube. As best I can read the barrel is labeled with 32 W. Everything seems to cycle properly and I don't see any pits in the bore. The rifle has a nice patena too it with no cracks in the stock and I am Longing to shoot it. Can this rifle be fired safely and what do I need to know to use it without hurting myself or damaging the rifel. I like to try and use all guns I have inherited on at least one hunting trip so that I have a story to hand down to the next generation with the gun.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I believe that it is a .32-20 Winchester aka, .32 WCF. What a nice inheritance! I'd just hike on down to the gunstore and buy me a box of .32-20 ammo and try it out. I doubt that it has ever fired anything else. Just make certain that the chamber and bore are clean. The bore on these is .312 or so (close enough) if you need to get a brush.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I would clean it thoroughly first. Bore and action are reasonably straight forward, but I would also strip and clean the tube mag.

The reason for the tube mag is because I had the follower in one of my rifles stick, and it kept a round in the mag after I had cycled it and thought it empty. It must have jarred loose when I put it in the gun rack at the range, because after I took it off the rack, I closed the action, half-cocked and bagged it. When I went to clean it at home, I opened the lever and ejected a live cartridge from the chamber.

So I had travelled home with a live round up the spout without knowing it. I stripped the mag, and found the mag follower was sticky just where the last round sat. And when I cleaned it, in was grungy in there. I think that was the first time since it left the factory.

But once it was cleaned, it was fine.

And once yours is clean, I would not hesitate to take it and test fire it, and then use it! Enjoy Grandpa's legacy!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners Mr Guest. Looks like your rifle was made in 1899. See the info here. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...ar-code-production-dates-ser-1-sheet-pdf.html Sign up to the forum there is a lot of info here. While 32-20 is not completely gone it is not easy to find in most gunstores. Brass is available from Starline. Factory ammo will be fine if the rifle is in good condition but be prepared to spend a few dollars for it. If there ever was a reason to get into reloading it is for this old but good family of cartridges, the 32-20, 25-20 and .218 Bee.

·
Super Moderator
15,875 Posts
You do realize this thread is 13 years old, I doubt he is still around, but you never know who can use the info you folks post.

·
Registered
106 Posts
YIKES!
That's way way too old for a thread to be around.

·
Super Moderator
15,875 Posts
It really doesn't matter how old a thread is, IF info is posted that helps someone out, but then there are some that would post something trivial just to up the count so they could sell something.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
:ahhhhh: Ooops, sorry guys ...... my bad.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That ok. I never noticed it either...At least you replied to it in good faith.

Reactions: curan
1 - 10 of 10 Posts