Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the pawn shop yesterday and nearly choked. The proprietor recently inherited his father's guns and this is someting that came out of the closet! It wasn't for sale, but I'd still like to know about what it was worth. There were very little loss of blue or case coloring and the action when worked wasn't even broken in yet. Most beautiful thing I've seen metal wise. The wood is fine, but unremarkable. The serial number was in the 38,000 range. Near as I could tell that was between 1906 and 1913 or so. Nothing solid. Its a 25-36. Was shot for the first time in 70 years two days ago. ::) ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Re: Model 93

Its a Model 1893 probably made around 1908-1909. Serial number would be in the 380000 range. Value hard to say without actually seeing the rifle. Looks pretty nice though.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts

Thats a gun many, including myself, would be proud to put in a collection. Most important, its HONEST, hasnt been "improved" or phonied up to add value or insinuate chicanery.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Thats a real nice 1893!!!! that 25-36 is a nice round ! marlins answer to Winchesters 25-35 , other then case markings the bullets are identical !!! ;D, you don't see a lot in that caliber. Don

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No takers on any approximate value? I have no idea, but I'd like to tempt him and keep realistic at the same time. Please help educate me!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dr.A. I was wondering how long the barrel is it looks like its longer then a 26" barrel in the pictures. looks like something rubbed on the barrel right by the chamber,I really don't like to give prices off the top of my head,if i were you i would a search on recent similar gun sales on gunbroker, auction arms, guns international that should give you an idea. Don

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I know it was longer than my 24 inchers, so I assumed it was 26 as it didn't seem inordinantly long. I'll do some research, as I'm sure the owner has. I just don't want to insult him if I try to make an offer!

·
Premium Member
7,250 Posts
That's a beautiful Marlin, but it doesn't retain "most of it's original case color". If you take a look at Don's 1893 at another post here, you'll see what a receiver with most of it's color looks like.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,85680.0.html
It's still a wonderful gun, and one most would love to have in their collection. Prices vary throughout the US, so that's why most are hesitant to make a guesstimate. If you look on Gunbroker or Auction Arms you can search completed auctions and see what similar guns are actually getting.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
It does look long, might be the angle of the pic though. Prices are hard to spit out David, especially when you dont have the gun in your hands. Depends alot on how much the buyer and seller like it too. The guy who likes it most wins. If it was his dads & its not for sale he probably likes it alot. But he is a pawn broker.

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know. His dad just died and I don't think he knew this existed. I've stated my case. Now we'll see if he calls me * which he will do when its slow. ;) WIshed it was another caliber.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Prices are certainly set on whether either buyer or seller knows peanut butter from apple butter, but a local buddy in this area, gave 650 as I recall, for a very similar condition gun, in 25 36. All in all, I would say his was not quite as nice as yours is.

As far as that, in this area, 6 to 7 will buy near every vintage Marlin lever seen at a show, in typical condition like this one, no matter what the model. Guys are figuring out that take downs are scarce, but have yet to realize the longer barrels are a premium.

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After looking at a few on the auctions, many thought their gun was worth more and asked for it not getting it. I saw one or two in the 6 or 7 hundred dollar range and perhaps one around 1200. that was about it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I Think Wishbone hit the mark at 1000.00, it would sell fast at 800.00 and a few tire kickers at 1000.00 but will sell

Clark

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Might be worth a trip east, with a truck full of Marlins. ;D Wish I could find a truck load though. Just aint that many in this area. Even a show like Fascio puts on there at the Grand Sierra, not sure how many tables, but several hundred at least, might be 3 or 4 dozen vintage Marlins in the whole show.

I try to keep an eye on Cabelas site, I see a whole bunch of guns, both Wins and Marlin, with reduced pricing of late. At 4 dollar gas, that may increase.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
My reference guide from 2010 lists it at $1750 in Exc. shape & $850 in V.G. shape. That is for the gun without any extras from the factory. Just a guide because you would have to look the gun over to really see the grade. Still comes down to what your willing to pay & he's willing to sell for. Good luck it's a fine looking rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts