Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, board members.

I have a Model 1893 that I was going to sell (it was part of my dad's collection), but I've fallen hard for this one. It is a beautiful 32-40 with an octagonal barrel in great shape with lots of checkering. Behind the rear sight in two lines is stamped, "FROM WH SHEARD, TACOMA WASH." The interesting thing is that I did a google search and found an 1894 Winchester for sale of GunsAmerica with the same stamp. And that is all I could find. Does anyone know who or what WH Sheard is?

To add another question, since I am going to keep it (and an 1894 and a 94), I need to know about the Brophy book. Walmarts online has "Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them." It is on sale for $48.58. Is this the book that is referenced so often on posts? Is this the best one to buy as a Marlin collector?

Thanks, gunsfromdad

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
William H. Sheard was a gun dealer, and also a designer of sights. His name is best known from his association with Marbles Sight Co., for the sight patents he sold them, and they marketed under the Marbles-Sheard name. These sights were front blades, with gold beads, of various patent design. They were very nice sights for the time, and desired by shooters who used them with the combination of a Marbles or Lyman tang sight for a great sight picture.
Sheard's small gun business sold firearms with his personalized rollstamp, which your father's 1893 exhibits. Sheard was in business in the late 1800's and early 1900's in Tacoma, Washington. Marbles offered the first Sheard sights in their 1905 catlog.
You have a piece of firearms history, and it should be kept in your family, and in it's present condition, regardless of what it looks like. The Sheard rollstamp is not going to add a lot to the value of your gun, because of his small part in firearms history, but it's still a neat addition, and should be preserved!
Bill Brophy's book is THE book on Marlin history, and a definite must for any Marlin collector! It wont cover little oddities like your SHeard rollstamp, but it will cover just about anything else you might want to know about Marlins.
I'm glad you have decided to keep your Dad's old Marlin!
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 256WinMag

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
gfd -
You do, of course, realize that fooling with old Marlins is more addictive that cocaine, right? Welcome to the board and I hope you never get over your new addiction.

Shum8

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Yes, welcome to Marlinowners! Sorry I didn't even notice this was your first post. Hope to see many more in the future!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marlinman93

Thank you. I have been looking for some time for that obsure info about WH Sheard. I should have started here. And, yes, this was my first post and thank you for the welcome. And so fast. I just posted this morning and have an answer already.

gunsfromdad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Everyone who loves a Marlin guns:
I do want to own the William Brophy's book on Marlins badly, except it is so expensive!
Anyone has an extra well used copy they are willing to sell please message me as I just missed out on one used copy here ....

Shenkoh

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Reactions: edcknives

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
A lot of necroposting lately.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
That's even better! I don't mind used books myself! I've got probably 200 gun related books in my library, and most were purchased used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts