Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have browsed through this site and it seems like a great one, lots of good info. I am trying to figure out the possible value and some history on a model 1893 38/55 takedown gun. It has a partial octagon barrel, and has the "special smokeless steel" stamping. There is a lot of engraving on the gun, one side has a deer on it which I have seen on other posts, on the other side it has a moose. I wonder if this is factory engraving? Also, the case color is not evident, were there other finishes used or possibly this was polished? Any help would be appreciated. The sights look like standard original ones, not the upgrades I have seen on some other Marlins here.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
genoflh,
First off, welcome to the forum!
It's always hard to determine a gun's value, without seeing it, and an engraved gun is even harder! Many Marlin engraved rifles had deer , moose, or other animals incorporated into the engraving, but it doesn't determine the level of engraving. #1 (the beginning level) had animals, and the customer could order which animal he wanted. Also numbers 2-3-4-5-5-1, 5-2, 5-3, and 5-4, plus a few other specail one of a kind styles.
There were other finishes besides casehardening, including blued, nickel, silver, and gold. It is possible your gun is faded case colors, which look very shiny and silvery, or it might be silver or nickel? Again, hard to say without seeing it.
The takedown and half octagon barrel are also special order features, and not as rare as the engraving, but desireable. Most special order guns had more than one option, as it seems when people started ordering special options, they went for more than a couple!
If you could email me detailed pictures of your gun, I might be able to tell you which level of engraving it is.
Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Well, you just heard from the MarlinOwner's version of Yoda, so no further input is needed from the rest of us lesser beings. Welcome aboard!

Shum8

1 - 3 of 3 Posts