Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Model 1893 in 38-55 at local shop--Bought it!

I think this would be a decent rifle to bring home as a casual shooter. Serial number is 2224xx so it should date to about 1901 I think. Long octagonal barrel. Large silver-colored blade up front and a buckhorn rear sight. The barrel retains most of its blue while the receiver and magazine tube are nearly gray. Not sure if this indicates a rebarrel or a refinished barrel, or if someone just vigorously scrubbed the tube and receiver. The action seems to cycle smoothly. The bore looks pretty good. There may be some roughness in it, or it may be leading. I would estimate that it is shootable anyway.

Barrel is marked "special smokeless steel". Semi-Crescent butt? Full length magazine.

The wood is fairly dark and overall in pretty good shape. There is one crack that I saw in the left side wrist where it meets the receiver. Looks like it was glued some time back.

Sorry, no pics. But by description, does that sound fair for $600? They are holding it for me until the end of the day. Thanks!

Rob

EDIT 6/9/18: First Shoot results at Post 24.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
This one? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/770283603

It has pitting where the one I'm looking at does not. I think the GB rifle also has a replaced front sight. And 1.5 days left to go while currently at $560 (plus shipping and transfer).

Note that the crack is about 3/4" long along the grain and was never split out.

Rob
If you want it go for it! Probably will make a nice shooter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought it. It was at Cabelas and had only come out a day or two ago. No negotiating or price drops until they've been on the floor at least 45 days. I don't think this would have lasted that long at all. Did save $18 by using a gift card I had paid less for.

The butt is not a crescent but a gentle curve with a plastic or horn buttplate. Not completely flat either (what I think would be called a "shotgun" butt).

There are actually very faint traces of the case colors on the receiver with some decent color in the protected areas (tang under the lever, sides of the lever, top of the bolt, etc.).

I was able to run an undersize .35 cal bore snake down it in the store and even that cleaned up the bore a bit and it looks like it is in pretty darn good shape. Pictures laters.

Rob

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Congrats on the find!

Let us know how she shoots.

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
OP:Congrats on the good looking 1893. Going by the pics it appears original with perhaps a coat of finish applied on the wood. Sounds like a fair deal.
The standard rifle came with three different choices for butt plates. Crescent, S. and shotgun types. You have the shotgun type.
I would give it a good cleaning and check out the firing pins and ejector. They are the most commonly broke parts. Small parts if needed may be available at Wisners.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Registered
829 Posts
Really looking forward to a range report as you get sorted out what it likes to shoot groups with. Then after the range report some pics of it leaned up against some venison in the field after a successful hunt.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.