Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

About 10 years ago my father passed down my grandfathers .22 Single Shot Bolt Action Model 100 rifle to me (Pic 1). It doesn't have a model or serial number on it, but with the help old posts on this forum and some other internet information I was able to identify that it is a Model 100 and that it is a 1935-38 version. My grandfather purchased it new and used it for about 50 years before he passed.

Recently I had it out and was cleaning it and found that the Butt Plate has a slotted screw hole (See Pic 2). By loosening this screw the butt plate slides around the other screw and gives access to a hollow stock area. This area has a specific shape, it is about 2.5" wide and 3" deep and then on the top of this hollowed section it is drilled out with ~3/4" hole to about 9" deep (see Pic 3).

I'm going to guess that this compartment is for a cleaning kit, but that is just a guess. I've found the old catalog clip for this rifle, and it has no mention of this compartment. Also, in all the Model 100 posts I've found no one mention of it either. The but plate is stamped steel, so it appears to be original.

Does anyone know if this is a standard part of the gun, or if it was a modification?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Chris

Pic 1 - Model 100 .22 Cal Single Shot Bolt Action.jpg
Pic 2 - Slotted Hole.jpg
Pic 3 - Hollow Stock.jpg

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,047 Posts
Resourceful idea! I suspect it is not original, but a well crafted modification that made it more useful for your Grandfather's needs. It looks to be in nice shape. It will be a nice heirloom to pass down through the generations.

Oh! Welcome to the forum, we may turn you into a marlin junkie.

AC

·
Premium Member
10,845 Posts
I have a Model 100 but not the hollowed stock or slotted butt plate. My stock is shorter as it was cut off for younger folks I guess. My dad had the gun and I have been shooting it for close to 60 years. Not sure where he got it or how long he had it before I was born.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome note and the replies.

I had strongly suspected it wasn't a factory option, but wanted the confirmation. My grandfather was quite a craftsmen, so I'm pretty sure that he would have made the changes himself. It's nice to have that personalized touch on the rifle, it already had a lot of sentimental value but this just adds to that.

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I thought that you were going to say that you found a ten spot in the hollow so maybe if the small game hunt with the rifle didn't work out, the shooter could still buy lunch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts