Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this on big bore ,However,NO body seemed to be interested in the post there so maybe it was too off thread for them.
I found a''Mod. 49'' at the local gun shop .It's had hard treatment but seems to be in good mechanical condition.The forearm seems to have been replaced by a steel knurled one and it looks like someone didn't know how to take it down as it appears to have had pliers applied to the barrel try and turn it[scratches on the barrel]It breaks down properly if you do it right,but it is stiff and dirty.What really caught my eye ,:shock: :lol: ,was a diamond imbedded in the bottom of the grip!The action works well, but ,with the hammer down, on an empty chamber, as if just fired,the gun will cycle open without depressing the bolt latch,isn't this a simulation of a hang fire ,shouldn't you have to press the bolt latch in this condition?
Any good close up pictures of a proper forearm would help me make one or any sources for an original would be appreciated .A good picture of the action bar would help too.
I walked out with it for $100.00and I'll post pictures if any ones interested.thanks [I'm not a real shotgun type of guy but I like ANY Marlin] Shootrj2003

·
Registered
61 Posts

The 49 is the same frame as the 98, there was parts for one for sale in a auction, no forearm. I think that any of the 98 style fore arms will work on your shot gun, they have two screws on the left side. Most of the ones I have purchased needed a lot of work to make them function without breaking. Even if you find one that looks good, most of them are cracked they did not have a steel liner. I have one slide that will fit a 98 shotgun, the screws are all the way to the back and fit into a tube that fits all the way around the magizne, I think this is for a model 19. Watch the auctions and you will run across a picture of your shotgun, some have a mix of parts and you will need to look at a few of them to know what is original.

Emmett

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Emmet Dunham,Thank you for the info I'll have to keep an eye out for a model 19 forearm or maybe make one with a liner like you described.
Meanwhile ,I'll tear it down and replace any defective parts.
Did not somebody make a replica of this shotgun?Shootrj2003

·
Registered
61 Posts
National Firearms Co.

I have a National Firearms (Marlin) that was manufactured in about 1906, nonthing later. The check you did with the hammer down is the check for the recoil safety device, it is to keep the bolt from being opened with a hot round in it and the release so you may open the breach after about thirty seconds safely. There should be a block with a leaf spring and a hook with a leaf spring, the hook holds the locking bolt from moving upward until the shotgun is fired or the release button is pushed. Clean both of the parts I have described and remove the screw that hold the release button and clean it out real well. There is a series of safety checks for this rifle and it shoul pass the checks prior to being fired, do a search using 1898 Marlin and you will find a down load with the checks.

Slam fire is not a good thing, setting of the primer before the bolt is locked will cause a catistrophic failure.

Emmett

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems if I do the test ,without the barrel and forearm on, the bolt does stay locked.It only opens on this test, when using the forearm to open the action.In other words a direct thrust on the bolt face as in a shell firing in the chamber or a push against it manually will not open it [and it is definitley locked ] but a thrust using the forearm will open it as this action opens it normally.I am puzzled by this as makes it seem as if the recoil block has no function yet it is in perfect condition no missing parts and no wear but does nothing[It is the newest type] As a matter of fact all parts were in really good conition except the secondary sear spring which was broken and it seems the sear is not fit properly as this needs work which I'll do now ,also it seems the barrel assembly is older than the action assembly as it is marked with the Marlin Firearms Company rollstamp and is of the earlier push button type ,not the'' pinchlock'' style.
I bought this gun just cause it was cheap and a Marlin and old ,it has proven to be a real learning experience and challenge.I can't wait until it's ready to shoot. Shootrj2003 8) :? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts