Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in my neighborhood gun shop yesterday and the guy knows I like Marlins. He says, take a look and this and tell me what you think. He hands me an 1893 in a 30-30 with a serial # of 380xxx. I look it over and see it is tapped on the receiver but only two holes about 7/8 of an inch apart towards the rear of the receiver. Curious as to why only two holes (none in the barrel either) but dismiss it. Don't notice much of anything else until he says look at the lettering on the top of the receiver where this model of Marlins has the words "Marlin Safety" stamped. All other 1893's I have seen have these words centered on the top of the receiver. On this one the words are moved forward towards the very front of the receiver.

It appears that those two tapped holes might have been factory tapped and the stamped words moved forward because of this. I realize Marlin did not tap receivers until the 50's but this looks very strange to me.

Question: 1. Is my suspicion possible----- has anyone seen this variance? 2. what would the two tapped holes be for? Receiver mounted peep????----did they have such an animal back then?

I can not explain this gun-----hope some of you can educate me. JOHN

·
Registered
397 Posts
With the fabrication of the Hepburn receiver sight in 1903, all Model 1893's produced after 1903 were drilled and tapped on the top of the receiver to accomodate use of this sight. The MARLIN SAFETY markings were moved forward on the receiver as not to be covered by the sight.

The s/n you provide would definitely indicate a later production gun, which should most certainly be drilled for the Hepburn sight.

WB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was quick---thanks for the info!!! I guess all the 1893's I've seen had the non-tapped receivers with no taps. Learn something every day---thaks again. JOHN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts