Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are things going for our members in Washington State? Are all of Y'all safe and are your families safe? Just let know that y'all are alright and safe. Take care, John.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am about 40 miles away and have only driven by it once, back in the 70's, Oso was a spot on the Highway to Darrington with only a sign and maybe a gas station. It is a sad thing that happened.

The ugly thing about this, is that it has been known to be a landslide area since the 30's and there have been official reports put out in the 90's warning of the danger of a catastrophic mudslide.
Another example of the power of Mother Nature.

·
Registered
19 Posts
bnparts;1725137...The ugly thing about this said:
Or of the power of complacency in the face of danger. It was tragic what happened and of course I know nothing about the circumstances that lead any of those people to be there at that time, but the fact that they were there at all is the bigger tragedy.

"...a 1999 report filed with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, warning of “the potential for a large catastrophic failure.”" Risk of slide ‘unforeseen’? Warnings go back decades | Local News | The Seattle Times

I lived in Seattle for 40 years but knew nothing about Oso. Landslides are not uncommon in the PNW even in densely populated areas but this is an unbelievable number of casualties for such a tiny place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts