Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get into trapping. I hunt Deer,Turkey,Rabbit, etc... in MO Near Nevada, MO and our land, the landowner has a bunch of cattle that have been killed by yotes, He has given me permission to set traps. Part of the land is cattle fields, the rest is cropland. I plan on setting traps near the treelines at the edges of the fields and also on the cropland side of the cattle pastures (to keep cattle out of traps, the landowner would not be happy if I trapped a cow lol.) I have never trapped before and am looking for any info into trapping. IE. What traps to use, Best places to set traps, Baiting traps, etc...

Also. We have muskrats/otters tearing up our dock on a private pond (also cattle pond so no leg traps) and we would like to get rid of them. What advice for them do you have?

One more question.

Does anyone on the forum know anyone who buys hides near Nevada, MO?

Thanks for ALL advice guys, And I will be reading the forums in the meantime.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I buy hides...from south of you a bit. Keep in mind warmer months mean less fur and therefore less appeal on furs. I'd be careful as I've never seen coyotes kill cattle ..unless they are rabid. I've even seen a large pack walk right by a steer and a calf and not even really pay attention to each other.

Pm me your email and I know a guy up that way that can probably come out and show you some trapping if your interested..

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Call the yotes and shoot em. Otherwise use a wire snare. Look into it. May want a conabear on the otters. May want to check the calendar I believe February 21 was your cut off date for bragging rights. Wink. Kill em all.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Look into the Conibear traps to use for the muskrats and otters.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Fur isn't worth a lick here in NJ now. Most of the animals are rubbed pretty good and turning to summer coat. So set snares. That way if you get something you don't want you can just let it go. Be careful of Mange. Humans can get it. Look for game trails under fences. Set game trails with snare on trail and put some brush around it to guide them into the snare.

I'm no trapper but I am a Farmer. I had a trapper out here last year taking care of Fox for me. I watched what he was doing lol. 12 Fox in two weeks. The Farmer will be thankful and you will be welcome to hunt his property anytime.

Steve

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I buy hides...from south of you a bit. Keep in mind warmer months mean less fur and therefore less appeal on furs. I'd be careful as I've never seen coyotes kill cattle ..unless they are rabid. I've even seen a large pack walk right by a steer and a calf and not even really pay attention to each other.

Pm me your email and I know a guy up that way that can probably come out and show you some trapping if your interested..
Feral dogs will.......Step son lives in McDonald County, and just shoots 'em when he sees 'em....They were his excuse to buy a AR-15........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts