Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 39 tds. I've had it since 1988. It's a nice little rifle. Out of every magazine I'll always have a few rounds that won't fire the first time. If I recock it and shoot it will go off. Is this characteristic of the model 39? The rifle has been sent back to marlin twice and it still does it. Also, it will do it with any brand or type of ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I have a 39TDS that does the same thing with some ammo. Eley Primed ammo seems to be the worst.

My 39TDS saving grace is that the Federal 550 Bulk ammo fires reliably (and quite accurately). I'd guess 4 out of the 550 might require a second hammer strike.

I did some judicious filing on the firing pin to allow it to travel farther forward and that significantly improved the problem but did not eliminate it with some brands of ammo.

I have a 1965 Golden 39A Mountie and a 1974 39A 24" that have NO failure to fire issues at all.

The pins are slightly different in the older pre-Cross bolt safety guns but I am tempted to see if one will work better in the 39TDS. I noticed a difference in the dents in the spent cases. The TDS is shallower, smaller and farther from the edge than the spent cases of my other two old style 39A's

It is a shame that the trip(s) to Marlin did NOT fix it. They really are great little guns otherwise. For whatever reason the little 16" barrel out-performs my 20" and 24" barrels at 100 yards and seems to be less ammo finnicky though they all seem to shoot anything pretty well. The size does make it a lot more handy than my other model 39's and I will often put it in my pack if there is an opportunity to shoot where I'm hiking.

Out of curiosity by chance does your serial number begin with TDS02xxx?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shot some cci velocitors the other day and had no mis-fires with them. A friend said to try winchester power points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts