Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across one of those 1917 S&W that are in .45ACP that use the half moon clips today. I know the story that both Colt and S&W made them to supplement the 1911's during WWI. But this one has the Brazilian seal on the side and the date 1937.

Does anyone know the story on these Brazilian purchased revolvers? How & when did these make their way back the the USA?

The finish is not good at all showing much sign of alot of hard use. But mechanically it is perfect with an incredibly light crisp single action pull and the timing is also right on.

Price is $150.

What do you think?????????????

Look forward to some responses.

Geoff

·
Registered
688 Posts
Unless the bore or cylinder is messed up that's an excellent price for around here. I'd buy it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah!What he said!

I just sold one nickeled with ww1 acceptance mark for 300.00. Sounds great and enjoy it. moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Hi Geoff,
In 1938 Brazil contracted S&W to build 25,000 of the N framed hand ejectors for the Brazilian government. They all had the Braziliian crest stamped on the sideplate. A second shipment was delivered in 1946. The guns in the first shipment are in the serial # range 181983-207043, while the 1946 shipment is in serial # ramge 207196-207989. A large quantity of these guns were imported back to the United States in 1990 for resale to the public, and will bear an importer's mark.
These are regular S&W guns, and as good as the old 1917 S&W revolvers. Prices are running less the US marked, or commercial model 1917 hand ejectors, but still well above what the dealer is asking. If it's a good tight action, with good bore I'd make him an offer, and buy it. If he wont take less, I'd still buy it at $150.
I sold most of my S&W colection to finance Marlins years ago, but I'd get that gun if it was in my local shop! Do yourself a favor, and get a good supply of .45 auto rim cases, or a moon clip tool, because your fingers will get sore quickly loading the cartridges into the moon clips!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sure appreciate the replies gentlemen.

MM93, you are something else! What a concise clear complete answer! Only problem is that I can never help you out. You have forgotten more about firearms than I will ever know!

Well if you ever need to know something about growing apples or pears just ask! HA.

Geoff

p.s. I took the tang sight off of my 1881 and I am getting ready to shoot the January match with the Rocky Mtn sights. I just want to see how I can do.

p.s.s. Did you notice Meister has an offer where they pay the shipping? I haven't researched it to see if they just jumped their prices to pay the shipping or if they truly are offering something good.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I agree with the others: buy it! I had one I shot bowling pins with. Used heavy 45Colt bullets with a mild dose of powder & the pins went for a trip! :shock: SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Always glad to help Geoff! I better check Meister's web site! If shipping is free, I might have to stock up on some bullets! Thanks Geoff!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Geoff,
Checked Meister's web site, and the ones I want are $40 for 250. Midway has Oregon Trail 405 cast for $27.95 for 250, so with shipping the Oregon Trail are still a better buy. I'll stick with them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh how I wish I had beaten you to that Brazilian.Had a pure one once until some rotten b-s--rd broke into my pickup and took off with it. Since that happened I have had zero luck finding another.Except for the ones overpriced. Bought two Colts,but collect S&Ws.Really nice shooting handguns.1937 was my birth year,I guess that is why it burned me so much.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is another one there for the same $150. Wish you were closer because I think its a pretty good deal.

I've shot mine about 100 rounds or so and while I know I'm a horrible pistol shot I shoot this one better than any other centerfire pistol I own! The single action pull is so crisp and I just feel comfortable with those old iron sights. I am impressed to say the least.

mm93 warned me my fingers would get sore loading those cartridges into the full moon clips. Boy was he right. Getting the empties out isn't bad but putting full ones in gets pretty old. About 10 full moon clips came with it so when I take it out to shoot I take about 4 of them with me, shoot the 24 rounds and reload the clips in the basement where it is nice and warm. So in the long run, it's a doggone neat system.

Geoff

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey GEOFF,could you ,would you please get me the name and address of the shop it is in.I am deadly serious about this.If they have an on line address so much the better.MUST have a 1937..........You can email me with the information.I think it is handy.Much obliged.Bill
Oh by the way,you might like to try the 45 auto rim cartridges in that old girl,,much easier to load and unload..Cost isn't much more than the others but really saves the digits.
Thanks pardner.It will look great alongside my US and British.Bill

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Geoff,
Here's a tip to help with your sore fingers! When you load them, put the edge of the moon clip on a hard surface, and sort of roll the cartridge into the clip, while pushing it down on the surface. Another tip for taking them out. Get a long 3/8" bolt, and put it into the empty case, and use it to pry them out of the clip. It really make a difference over trying to push on the stubby little cartridges!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good suggestion mm93. I figured the first part out on my own out of necessity and the bolt is a great idea for the empties. Talked to the guy who runs the matches here and he wants to see if anyone is interested in shooting silhouette off hand with pistols. I realize the .45ACP is not perfect for this game I think I'll take it along to see how it does. Remember I have that S&W 25-5 8 3/8" that would probably be the gun for this. It could be fun!

Geoff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts