Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked a few questions about this on the old Marlin talk or early on here. I was at the gunshop this morning (bad move) and the owner has decided to sell that Marlin 27-S in .25-20. He even let me shoot it, he knows I like .25-20's! I don't really know what to look for to really judge condition but it is all original, came out of a local collection and is really nice and tight with the bluing really in great shape.

It has what I believe is a Hepburn receiver peep sight and also comes with the original barrel mounted rear sight. It shoots great!!!!!

As you know I am getting an 1895 Cowboy .45-70, that should be in tomorrow so my finances are pretty dry. My question for you guys is should I really push and buy this 27-S???? I hardly ever get to a gunshow but this is the only one of these that I have seen around here. I'm already set up for reloading .25-20.

He is offering it to me for $325.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK I SHOULD DO????? IS THIS A VERY GOOD DEAL????

Thanks,

Geoff

·
Registered
719 Posts
*pant*

geoff.....yes! how many do you see around in this condition???????????

you can ALWAYS sell it at that price! :shock:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Geoff,
Buy it as fast as you can! The gun is a good deal, but if it has a Hepburn receiver sight, the sight alone is worth the $325 that he's asking! Repro Hepburn sights go for $200, and originals are so rare, I haven't seen one for sale in a couple years. The last one I saw on Ebay went for $300+.
Hurry down there and get it before he changes his mind, or finds out what the sight is worth!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I bought my 27-S four years ago for $360 and was happy about the price. Mine is 100% original and in about 85%-90% overall condition.
For that price, you can't get your money out of your pocket fast enough, especially with a Hepburn sight.
WB

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are alot of help! I know the gun is in great condition but as to the sight I am going on what the previous owner told the owner of the gunshop. I pulled out Brophy's book to look for a picture of the sight that is on the 27-S and on my cursory look couldn't find one. I am supposed to be getting my taxes info to my accountant so I didn't have much time.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll probably stretch myself out and bring this little sweetheart home. The gun came from a local collection of a man I know pretty well, I already bought his trapdoor Springfield a few years ago, and he was the owner of that original 1895 .45-70 that he sold to the guy I usually partner up with at the silhouette matches. The guy had a pretty nice Marlin collection but is up there in years now that he is slowly selling his old stuff off to support other interests.

Well you guys never let me down when I need advice.

Thanks,

Geoff

·
Registered
397 Posts
Page 639 of the book has what you're looking for on the Hepburn sight.
If you're looking for a picture of the sight on a 27-S, I don't remember seeing one.
WB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts