Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my hands on a 1894 Cowboy Limited 20" in 357. Looks fresh and ended up getting a great deal after a bunch of running around with another 1894 and a 336, but its here. I can post more pics later, but I noticed that it doesn't have a Marlin Bullseye in the stock, whats up with that? Does that mean they made 1894 Cowboys with birch stocks? are these replacement stocks?

Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger
Material property Shotgun

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not too concerned about it, just curious and couldn’t find an answer out there on the World Wide Web. Someone here must know though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
This is a JM rifle--right?

Reactions: bkmaine and bkg1956

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Way to go my friend. Thanks again for selling me that .38 Special. I love it. Enjoy your .357 as much as I do my SS and CB Limited 24".
All my cowboys have bullseyes.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Yes Jm, I think DOM is 2008

The wood looks to be walnut so the factory must have made a mistake.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wood looks to be walnut so the factory must have made a mistake.
I read that some of the birch stocks had been stained walnut coloring at one point on other models. I can tell you that the wood is noticeably different than the smooth stocks on my dad's 1895 LTDIII, which are walnut and have a bullseye (although that could be just the finish because the LTDIII is shinier). Maybe the factory just forgot, but I'm just wondering if these aren't the original stocks or if someone knows about Marlin putting birch on 1894 Cowboys...

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
I read that some of the birch stocks had been stained walnut coloring at one point on other models. I can tell you that the wood is noticeably different than the smooth stocks on my dad's 1895 LTDIII, which are walnut and have a bullseye. Maybe the factory just forgot, but I'm just wondering if these aren't the original stocks or if someone knows about Marlin putting birch on 1894 Cowboys...
I have read where birch stocks were used on some 1894Cs sold at a specific store but can't remember the company. The wood grain on your rifle doesn't look like birch to me. None of my birch stocked Marlins or Glenfields resemble the rich straight grain in your furniture.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have read where birch stocks were used on some 1894Cs sold at a specific store but can't remember the company. The wood grain on your rifle doesn't look like birch to me. None of my birch stocked Marlins or Glenfields resemble the rich straight grain in your furniture.
That was Big 5 Sporting Goods.
That sure looks like walnut to me. Take the butt-plate off and see if the color stays the same.
LG

·
Registered
856 Posts
BEAUTIFUL! If the bullseye concerns you, just go to Brownell’s and order you a piece of bullseye material. Easy to install. It’ll be perfect! Have fun!

Reactions: bkmaine

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beauty! What are the first 2 digits of the serial #?

I found a few on GunBroker and they had the Bulls eye... Weird your one doesn't...
First two are 92

It is weird, I’m not gonna put one in, just curious as to why. Also wary because I did buy it on Armslist but it’s all went well.

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
bkmaine,
I have a spare bullseye some place in my pile of stuff that you can have if you ever want to put one on. PM me your info if you do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.