Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reading some posts about the barrels on some newer levers not being indexed correctly.

What is the solution to this? If they are to the right as you site down the barrel is it just a matter of having the barrel turned in a touch more? I would think if they were to the left, the fix is not so easy.

How could they align the mag tube to the barrel if it was not indexed correctly as the site mounts and dovetails are cut prior to mounting?

Obviously I haven't worked in Marlin or Remington, but I do not understand how they could not catch this issue prior to shipping out the door. QA should be looking at the finished product.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Quality inspections slow down production and they can't have that.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Why do I have a feeling that there is a dead horse on the ground with a line of people holding Baseball Bats in front of it just waiting to post replies to this subject? hahaha
If it was just a question of cost, that would be the easy fix. However, it is more than likely just a lack of experience with the Manufacturing Process of the Marlin Product by everyone involved combined with the pressure of making a quota to get it out the door no matter if the rifle is machined/assembled correctly or not.
"The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves."-The Management

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL...let me rephrase a bit before people start hitting a corpse with Louisville Sluggers. ;D

We know the QA is non-existant with Marlington at this point. I guess my main question is how do you fix the barrel if it is misaligned?

Send it to NY and pray they get it right this time or what?

I do not want to give up on Marlins...and finding the pre FGI is getting harder and harder.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
KON said:
Why do I have a feeling that there is a dead horse on the ground with a line of people holding Baseball Bats in front of it just waiting to post replies to this subject? hahaha
If it was just a question of cost, that would be the easy fix. However, it is more than likely just a lack of experience with the Manufacturing Process of the Marlin Product by everyone involved combined with the pressure of making a quota to get it out the door no matter if the rifle is machined/assembled correctly or not.
"The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves."-The Management
AMEN, Brother...................

Tom

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I would like to know the answer to Medic07 question.

How could they align the mag tube to the barrel if it was not indexed correctly as the site mounts and dovetails are cut prior to mounting?

·
Registered
16 Posts
On mine, the rear sight offset, but the front sight is correct. Looking down the barrel, the scope mount screw holes and front sight are all in perfect alignment. So, it seems it's not that the barrel is mis-indexed, but that the rear sight dovetail is mis-cut. I'm not well versed in gunsmithing, but to me it seems that a new barrel with the rear dovetail correctly cut is the remedy. Hopefully those with more knowledge will chime in.

I considered just going with a receiver mount sight and deal with it, but that would leave me always disliking the rifle for not being 'right'. I'm yet to send mine back, will do so as soon as I can make the time. I'm dreading to find out how long this will take.

PLammer

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
PLammer said:
On mine, the rear sight offset, but the front sight is correct. Looking down the barrel, the scope mount screw holes and front sight are all in perfect alignment. So, it seems it's not that the barrel is mis-indexed, but that the rear sight dovetail is mis-cut. I'm not well versed in gunsmithing, but to me it seems that a new barrel with the rear dovetail correctly cut is the remedy. Hopefully those with more knowledge will chime in.

I considered just going with a receiver mount sight and deal with it, but that would leave me always disliking the rifle for not being 'right'. I'm yet to send mine back, will do so as soon as I can make the time. I'm dreading to find out how long this will take.

PLammer

Send it Back!..........Barrel is tourqued to the receiver, and the alignment gage sits in the rear sight dovetail for confirmation.

The front sight tapped holes are also located off the rear sight dovetail.............So, if yout front sight IS really correct, then the barrel is not correct, as the tapped holes and the rear dovetail are not related correctly.

If your front sight is in a dovetail, same applies..........both are not related correctly............you should demand a NEW barrel.

Tom

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
whatever the fix is I'll let you know when I get the 2 new remlins that I sent back to remington today back. Both the barrel on my 1895 sbl and my 336 bl were misaligned. cwhoever is in charge of indexing barrels might want to start looking for a new job cause this just isn't his calling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow!........I just bought 2 Marlins............ :p..........this is pretty encouraging.

The one had a residue trail along a groove in a slow twist .44mag that may or may not affect performance.....but it was there. I could not remove it by my cleaning methods. The people at the factory seemed professional in their response and it looks a 4 to 8 week turn around. They recommended I send it in........an 1894CB.......

Man, I loved the looks of it and shot it just a few rounds. It seemed accurate at 100 but then the factory said don't shoot it no mo'.............I love it but it seemed to feed and chamber a bit rough. NO problems other than a visual on the residue. It is a great piece.

My other is a 336C...........a beauty with nice balance and heft. Had some problems with it feeding the chamber........jammers...........then it would not eject. (YIkes for bears!)

I like them (these leverguns) but dang the one is fickle...........I just smoothed out edges with 800 grit everywhere I could and picked out and cleaned lead residue from cracks and crevices..........It's not jamming any more and no more issues with ejection..............

Pretty cool stuff...but I need more confidence in black bear country

1 - 10 of 10 Posts