Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded a handful of these just to see how they cycled and the powder charge was arrived at using the SWAG method. ..The load was factory Rem 125 PSP CoreLokt bullets in once fired brass..CCI primer and 40.0 gr of H4895 ..there was a 12-15mph wind right to left so I tried shooting between gusts as best I could...shot off sandbags from off my picnic table...target was 80yds out as thats where my trash pile/berm is to prevent any bullet from leaving the property. My 308MX is using a 2x-7x VXII Leupold in low Millet rings on Warne bases...only shot one 4 shot group as the wind was relentlessly trying to blow me off my stool and my neighbors were out in the yard and I didn't want to aggitate them ,..they tolerate me as long as I am considerate...this group was shot as 2 shots...cooldown for 10min and the last two...I'm satisfied with this as I'm sure its got to be in the 2700fps neighborhood...this will work perfect of my little local whitetails and really reach out there too...will research more as the weather improves

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S...am very pleased the rifle seems to shoot everything well and is very unfussy...so whatcha think? ;D

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
That should work for them whitetails. ;) Darn nice group, glad ya got out to the range. I shot a few rounds downrange Sat, first ones for a couple of months, felt good. This has been a long drawn out winter this year. DP

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
What's all those holes you covered with dots?

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
That's tight enough for ground hog shooting, I'd certainly be happy with that for whitetails.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Halwg said:
What's all those holes you covered with dots?
Hi Hal!...I sighted(tried) in my CZ bolt gun in 17HMR...talk about a gun that hates wind...I was aiming at the twelve oclock top outermost ring....the rifle was still grouping great but I believe since I was shooting towards Pa. (north)..the bullets might have been rerouted to where you are in W.Va with the way maw nature was blowing

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No..my Chrony is DOA at this time with a broken display...but I am usually fairly close ...a version of this load that I did with Speer 150 MagTip bullets (Thee perfect hunting bullet for most 30cal guns to me) minus 2.2 grains of propellent gave 2585avg ...so my logic says more powder and less bullet mass means my goal of 2700 has probably been met pretty easily..I even see that there is even a little more in my gun as there were no pressure signs and barely any brass swell or stretch ...I'm not the most technical reloader but always err to the safe side...I use this bullet in a very at max load in my 30-30 loading exclusive to my old 788 Remington...it has DRT'd every deer and other game animal it has been pointed at...my nieces and nephews and some guests who I had broken them into hunting with that gun/load was hooked..no kick and killed like lightning ..they all came away loving the experience with their confidence off the charts...When not driven at 30-06 speeds, the 125gr CL is a darn fine performing bullet..speed , trajectory accuracy and penetration...as long as you are ok with a 2-shooter..I am as the second will most likely rarely if ever be uncorked

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Looks like a good group. Should kill a deer just fine

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh boy..now I have a new 338ME to start the loading game for...just not yet...I think for the purposes I have in mind for the new MX that Mr Hornadys best will do just awesome...I would think it really neat for some heavier payloads ..for that I am prepared to roll my own

I'll be tickled pink if my 338 ends up shooting like Halwg's....my 308MX even though its not made meat yet has affectionately named "DeathRay"...the 338, if a shooter/keeper will be known as "DeathRay II" ;D ;D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Spent this morning at the range with my 308MX.It just keeps getting better and better.Gun is getting really slick (250 rounds or so) accuracy has always been good.Im getting to where I can group it into an 1&1/4 circle.I want them all touching.Dont know if I can get there but still trying.
Some of my other rifles tend to string if fired quickly but the 308 does not.I know its getting hot but it holds true.Its a really good shooting rifle and it keeps getting better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts