Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys use? we've always just put out corn throwers, but i want to start putting out mineral licks. completely open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
Due to CWD in my area of Wisconsin, it's illegal to put out licks or feed for deer.
One way I did research and will be putting into practice when it relocate to SC, is to dig a shallow bowl in the earth, break up a mineral lick block and soak it in a 5 gallon bucket of water till disolved. Pour the water solution into the shallow dug bowl and let it soak into the ground.
The deer will spend time scrapping at the dirt to get the minerals up and it becomes a prime attraction spot.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
It’s illegal here in Missouri also because of CWD, but when we did do it, we buried a salt block deep and then broke one up over the top of the other and buried it shallow. They would make a huge hole and still do even though we haven’t added anything in a couple of years.

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
You could just get one of them stupid new age pink Himalayan lamps that are made of salt crystal and chuck it where you want it. A salt lick that's not a salt lick because it's just a discarded lamp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In Michigan, I dig a 1-2 ft. hole in the ground and drop a whole Trophy Rock mineral rock in. I mix a powder called Lucky Buck in with the dirt and backfill the hole. Deer will come to check out corn, beets or carrots, but they will spend 15-30 minutes with their heads down in that mineral hole. It attracts groups of deer, mostly does in the daytime. Bucks early or late. I've used this for years.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I never put out a mineral block because the cows will come to it.
A corn feeder they eventually loose interest in after a couple days.
If I want to put out something like y'all are talking about, I have
to fence off a small area.
I have one feeder that is fences off because the cows kept rubbing
on the legs of it.
I may try a mineral block there this fall.
It may just draw hogs here, hard to say.
They sell mineral blocks for deer at Tractor Supply every fall.

·
Registered
172 Posts
X2 on the trophy rock, been using them for years. All I do is clear the leaves and vegetation a little and set it on the ground. I've got holes in the ground the size of bathtubs in some places where the deer just keep digging at the ground. Started a new spot this year first of July and the ground is already torn up around it. The raccoons really like em to.
jk

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I put out a salt block last year and at the end of the season the block was about 1/2 the size and one day it would be in one place and the next day it would be 15 to 20 yards in the opposite direction. The hogs played with the salt block like a soccer ball. It stood out in the oat patch, I believe you could have seen it from a mile away. I have put out the mineral blocks and in several days time it would be crushed and just chunks of it laying here and there, I assumed that hogs were biting it off in pieces, anyhow it did not last long. I am of the firm opinion that if you had the time to pour out little piles of Horse and Mule feed that deer would find it more desirable. it has everything in it that deer find desirable, Oats, and mollases and you can smell it a long way . I have done this from time to time when I was just starting to deer hunt and you could pour about a gallon of it on the ground and the next day there would just be clean dirt where it had been, the deer love it.

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
I believe putting out salt or mineral blocks is quite illegal here in Colorado. Same with any kind of feeders. I don't have any land to do it on anyway.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
I just get the 50 lb block at Tractor Supply and put it out - they have regular white salt or a pinkish one containing additional trace minerals for about a buck more which is what I get - they run about $6-7 for the 50 lb block. Bust it up and soak the ground as suggested above if you choose.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Makes me wonder if that's due to differences in the soil composition.
I've seen salt stations completely carved up with hoof tracks.
Could be your deer are getting all the salt they need naturally.

Vooch
I have tried mineral and salt blocks for years, it seems the only thing that comes to it are crows and raccoons. I use corn and plant oats and clover works even better.
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I used to go hunting for the best-type soil (red clay), spent time clearing the ground, then digging, making and hauling saltwater solutions, etc., etc. -- until I finally wised up. Buy a $6 salt block at your nearest feed-n-seed, pick your spot, plop it down, leave. There deer will find it. Many, many, many people have told me this will not work. That just proves they've never tried it...

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
I built a lick that I started using last year. I poured a can of salt into the jug, then pour a jug of maple syrup covering the salt, then repeat. Shake it all up for a good long time and set it aside to harden. Bury it with just the top of the jug sticking up and then cut the plastic off. Hunt within sight of it, and watch the critters fight each other it get it. Pretty cheap too! I'm looking for the parts to start making up another one for this fall.

roofing quality assurance observers
(RQAOs) who monitor
the construction process to assure
that roofing projects stay
in compliance with approved
construction drawings, specifications,
and best-practice or
warranty stipulated installation
procedures.T

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have used a lot of different products over the years. Most of them have shown good enough results. I have never succeeded in getting the giant hole dug from deer just pounding one spot for years though, like a lot of other guys. I would say my top 4 in no particular order are.. Whitetail Institute's 30-06, Evolved Habitat's Rack Rock, Trophy Rock, and a guy here in VA (Jim Wilson) makes a product called Mineral Magic that is pretty awesome and can be ordered online (best value for sure). Good old DeerCane is in this group too. When I really don't want to F around and just get a ton of pictures, I still throw out a bag of corn. The mineral mixes and rocks do last much longer and benefit the deer better than corn though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.