Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! This could be a real good season for me and my youngest son!

Just found out that he drew a cow elk tag! I drew my coveted late season mule deer tag too! NINE YEARS of applying for that particular mule deer tag...

In addition we'll be hunting for bear, elk, whitetail and mulies here in Washington with our over-the-counter tags...

And hopefully later today I'll know if my application was selected for Wyoming mule deer & pronghorn!

Sure hope so...

Super happy about my son's cow elk tag. He really wants to hunt elk, and pickings have been slim during the regular season. This should give him a much better opportunity to bring home some Great meat for the family!

Yee Haw! :biggrin:

Guy

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats on all the tags! Good luck to you and yours. Both me and my youngest son drew cow Elk tags here this year too... so hopefully it will be a good year, ha!

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks like a good year. COngratulations. Remember to furnish reports.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
May be a Great Year Here Too.
Been Gettin' Lots of Rain, So Far, This Summer. Lots of Blackberries & Elderberries Poppin' Out.
Last Week we Watched an 8 Point, 6 Point & 4 Point, Bucks In Velvet, Feed In the Front Yard!
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
I sure hope you SEE some game animals that you can harvest. A few of the good hunters I spoke to about last hunting season was that they didn't see anything they could shot. It happens.

I read the PA Game Commission game report yesterday and last year was a banner year for harvesting black bears. Hunters took over 3500, not too shabby. Bears are everywhere so the Game Commission has been adding a 4th day for state wide bear season the last couple of years. There are also a few WMU that have additional open season days for Juniors and Seniors. The report says those areas have had more people/bear conflicts and a lot more bear sightings, so they opened them to additional hunting days.

It should be a good year here too. A fair amount of spring rain this year and its been raining every day this week. We're getting 5 or 6 days in a row and a lot of continuous rain to bring up the streams and the water table. Its getting warmer too so we should be seeing a fair amount of berries this year too.

Mike T

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
That's an awesome jackpot!

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best of luck to you both! What rifles are you taking? #1, Remy's or Marlin?
Good question. I can semi-justify the .375 Number One on elk & bear. And it carries nice & looks classy.

Likely carry the .30-30 Glenfield for bear again this year, maybe elk if I get out after them in the thick stuff.

For mule deer & pronghorn I'll likely end up carrying the .25-06 Rem 700 CDL again. It's my best deer-slayer. The .30-06 700 CDL is crying out for attention too.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Congrats Guy on the draws :congrats:. Thanks for posting this, I thought WY drew later in the month. Anyway I checked and I also got drawn for a mule deer tag in WY along with my brother and a friend. We only waited 4 yrs for ours though :). Also a late season hunt, opens Oct 20th. Anyway, good luck to you and your son. What a Father's Day present, huh :biggrin:.

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lonnie - congrats on your tags!

That nine year wait was for a particular tag here in Washington. Without it though, I still hunt mule deer every year, that's an over-the-counter deal. Just buy the license & tag and go hunt the October general season. I usually do fairly well on that. This year's tag lets me hunt my favorite area, in November, when the rut is on, and the big bucks have come down out of the high mountains... Looking forward to it!

Wyoming has always treated me well. Only once, in 2009, did I settle for a doe. Otherwise it's always been a buck, or the bull elk back in 2000. Usually get drawn for what I want in Wyoming. I like that place! Did well there in 2012, with a mule deer buck and a pronghorn too. Both were decent, though drought seemed to have limited the horn growth on the antelope we saw.

Best of luck to all the hunters this season!

Guy

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Sounds like a busy year shaping up for you Guy! Lot's of tag's! Congrat's!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.