Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Midway's stash of M1 Carbines.

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  paulo57509 
#1 ·
I know they are going to be pricey, but they haven't been refurbished. Any opinions? Great piece of history.

#7 · (Edited)
It'd be great if you could go in and sort through the racks and pick the most appealing examples. And I'll bet Larry and Co. did exactly that. I'm sure the grouping has been cherry picked. I'll bet Larry's employees got the best of them at a discount. As far as the historical appeal goes, I totally get it. But I also know that, unless a weapon comes with rock solid provenance to prove it was there at Iwo Jima or Chosin Reservoir...it could just have likely been used for training at some National Guard facility in Kansas or wherever. Midway USA's story on the origins of the shipment is interesting, but IMO is still not the "rock solid" provenance I spoke of above.

Reactions: flatnose
#6 ·
The M1 Carbine met a need for the Army when introduced. It was to replace the pistol with a more effective weapon then a cumbersome rifle for those that were not infantry. My father carried one in VietNam when in the USAF. I've owned couple M1 Carbines over the decades. Only in the last decade did I learn that my wife's great uncle was David M. Williams.

CD

#8 ·
I have a 1942 Standard Products that was my uncle's. I don't think it has any combat history, Britt was a fighter pilot.
It's fun to shoot, accurate for rabbits, but way too expensive to shoot inmyarrogantopinion.
If I were going for an historic carbine, I think I would want one with some provenance.

#9 ·
Midway's M1 Carbines, first you get an email saying they won't ship to NY due to restrictions, then, today it's "we were wrong, we can ship to NY." Nice that they figured that out, but I paid $100 for mine and won't be needing another.

#10 ·
Audie Murphy's favorite gun was the M1 Carbine. He caried it because it was light with 15 rounds and it would shoot through the german helmets. Whe Audie got discharged his best friend ask Audie for his lucky carbine and he gave it to his friend who was killed several days later. Probably some folks on here who have never heard of Audie Murphy. He was th most decorated man in WW2, google him up for a good read. I remember the movie he made called "To Hell And Back", it must have been in the late 50ties or early 60ties when it came out on the big screen and the show was packed.

#13 ·
Classic Firearms has they refurbed for $1500-1600.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.