Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.. I purchased these bullets about a month ago for the sake of ...or lack of reloading bullets for the 35 and a little bit of curiosity. 214755.jpg First let me say I am not a expert.. just a hunter that owns a 1983 35 rem 336cs. So after getting these bullets I was not impressed at all with the quality. They did not weigh 200 grs (198-199gr) Thats not much but... that it is something. They all measured 358 dia instead of 356 dia as marked which was a good thing. Also the cannelure is not the same on all the bullets. It looks like it was stamped twice.. I guess to allow differnt seating depths but they still should be consistant. So you would think if you pay $39.99 for them "Winchester" the quality would be better. I personally think they are blems that Midway got in a deal. But that's just me. Anyway... off to the loading.. 39 grs H335 powder.. win LRP. That's my usual data for corloks and hornady's. Got 10 rounds loaded up and seen the differnt cannelure widths could become a problem as seen in the pic.

101_1363.JPG The cannelure on the bullets will seat the bullet deeper than corlokts and hornady's. You all know that sometimes.. no matter where you crimp... when you load them in the magazine end to end ..every now and then... a bullet will slide down in the neck to the top of the cannelure and stop. With the wide cannelure it could become a pressure issue.. Of course it may not. Just saying.
I shot the rounds from 25yrds .. 50yrds & 100yrds. The accuracy was as good as most bullets but not as good as hornady 200gr in my rifle. I did notice some pressure signs that I have never seen with other bullets. So that may be that it is seated deeper. If I hunt with these I will back off the powder a bit. I shot into wet phone books and magazines. Heres the pics of the bullets going from left to right.. 25yrds.. 50yrds.. 100yrds. The 25yrd bullet weighed 177.5 grs. The 50yrd bullet weighed 186.3 grs and the 100 yrd bullet weighed 187.3 grs.
Honestly.. NOW I was impressed. 101_1368.JPG
After shooting these I personally think these would be a heck of a bullet for deer.. hogs or bear within 100yrds.. Beyond that remains to be seen. I have a pound of LVR and think I will work up some hunting loads for my 336.. These bullets are expensive IMO and the cosmetic quality is poor. BUT I think they would thump big game! Have a Great Day! CWT

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the report. 35 cal bullets have been scarce for the last couple years. Sierra seems to have given up on them.
Yeah...I dont know what has happened to sierra.. We may see some come available soon. I'm seeing hornady's showing up in all our favorite stores.

Reactions: miket156

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Glad I was able to lay in a stock of Core-Lokts and FTXs before this round of obamascare. Good to know that the Power Points are still reliable, if ugly. Those really sound like blems. . . I see that as of today Midway still shows them in stock. $39.99/100 plus Midway's notorious shipping rates. Still, at least they have them.

Reactions: miket156 and CWT

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Thanks for the pics on the bullet tests. These are bullets designed for specifically the 356 Winchester, as Winchester 35 Rem bullets are more of round nose. Folks who use the .356 load on game report superior results. Winchester Power Points: 356 200gr on left, 35 Rem 200gr. on right

sults.

Reactions: CWT

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
Great report and pics! Looks almost like there is a couple different bullets mixed in that box, but it may just be the light. Probably put the venison in the freezer just as well as "prettier" bullets.

All the talk about "shortages" makes me very happy that I learned the fine art of shooting Cast at jacketed velocities and have what I consider a rather large inventory of same on hand (thanks 358 to my MO Brothers!) and lots of working stock (lead and molds) to choose from. Ha, all my favorite molds are in somebody else's casting stuff!! Sounds like a song....

Jeff

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Glad I was able to lay in a stock of Core-Lokts and FTXs before this round of obamascare. Good to know that the Power Points are still reliable, if ugly. Those really sound like blems. . . I see that as of today Midway still shows them in stock. $39.99/100 plus Midway's notorious shipping rates. Still, at least they have them.
Yeah, Midway shoots themselves in the head with their shipping rates. I have been watching that site for two years and they NEVER have any ammo that I shoot in stock. Well, last week they had Federal Blue Box 30-30 (Fed# 3030a) IN STOCK! My LGS did not have it so I thought I'd order from Midway. $16.29 a box, I bought 5 boxes. I needed some other things, like spare screws for my Marlins, a Slide ammo carrier for my pistol belt, and cleaning supplies. My shipping went UPS was over $18.00. Yikes! I still came out OK total price, and I got my order in less than 48 hours! The order was complete in one box. So, yeah, their shipping charges are not the "cheapest". But I have been having trouble finding those Federal 30-30 rounds locally. Most LGS want $20 a box. I use them at the range, and it gets expensive.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great report and pics! Looks almost like there is a couple different bullets mixed in that box, but it may just be the light. Probably put the venison in the freezer just as well as "prettier" bullets.
No lighting issues. Thats the diffence in the bullets in the box. However... They performed great.. I'd like to face down a big boar hog and see how they do. :eating:

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
clover leaf2.jpg that's 3 of the Midway bullets at 50yds. I'm glad I got 400 a month or so ago. Haven't notice a lot of discrepancies tho.:hmmmm:

Reactions: Sweetwater and CWT

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Very nice. Performance looks very nice and I like the FP on them..

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
IMAG0020.JPG CWT,
Do you know the muzzle velocity you shot them 200 FNPP's at for your wet phone book test? Ugly cannelure or not, they sure opened up nice and held together! Just what Mr. or Mrs. Whitetail needs to become freezer meat. I've killed 18 deer with my .358 Win pump using the RN Hornady Interloks and Remington Core-Lokt RN 200 grainers and ain't recovered a single bullet yet. Last .358 Win deer kill was with my Remington 700 short action custom gun using the 200 grain pointed Remington Core-Lokt designed for the .350 Remington Magnum. AT 2430 fps the kill was not as dramatic as when using the 200 grain RN bullets but he only went maybe 30 yards. He left a solid blood trail in the snow that even this old half blind and color blind cuss could follow. The loads using the RN bullets from my 760 rechambered pump were all at 2380 fps. Even at that lower velocity, only two of the eighteen were not bang flops, and both of those only went 30 yards also. While we are discussing bullets, the Hornady 200 grain 35 caliber FTX gummie tips also hold together well on a deer and plow right on through with a nice sized exit hole and kills them DRT @ 2400 fps.

358 Win (Above is my rechambered .358 Win 760 Remington pump that's a real deer killing machine)

Reactions: CWT

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I started out getting the Remington 150/170 in "repackaged" (bulk bullet) batches. Same box & label. I think Midway gets them in something like a 10,000 pcs box, like the ammo maker would get them and just counts'em out.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 108704 CWT,
Do you know the muzzle velocity you shot them 200 FNPP's at for your wet phone book test? Ugly cannelure or not, they sure opened up nice and held together! Just what Mr. or Mrs. Whitetail needs to become freezer meat. I've killed 18 deer with my .358 Win pump using the RN Hornady Interloks and Remington Core-Lokt RN 200 grainers and ain't recovered a single bullet yet. Last .358 Win deer kill was with my Remington 700 short action custom gun using the 200 grain pointed Remington Core-Lokt designed for the .350 Remington Magnum. AT 2430 fps the kill was not as dramatic as when using the 200 grain RN bullets but he only went maybe 30 yards. He left a solid blood trail in the snow that even this old half blind and color blind cuss could follow. The loads using the RN bullets from my 760 rechambered pump were all at 2380 fps. Even at that lower velocity, only two of the eighteen were not bang flops, and both of those only went 30 yards also. While we are discussing bullets, the Hornady 200 grain 35 caliber FTX gummie tips also hold together well on a deer and plow right on through with a nice sized exit hole and kills them DRT @ 2400 fps.

358 Win (Above is my rechambered .358 Win 760 Remington pump that's a real deer killing machine)
I don't know the velocity but from past posts and info from 35remington it should be about 2120-2140fps range. They did open good. I got four hundred hornady inerlocks but think I will try these Win power points with some LVR.

Reactions: 358 Win
1 - 14 of 14 Posts