Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=572535

I've been posting about my adventures with my new 336ss on a couple of different forums. Post #40 on the link above really irks me. The user is fairly well known over there and well thought of but it seems like he was just parroting misconceptions that we all know are not true.

I post this not to bash on someone behind their back to use the example to encourage knowledgeable Marlin lovers to work harder to get the info out there and dispel some of these myths!

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
I say - - let them continue to spread Bravo-Sierra about micro-groove barreled rifles. In fact, re-inforce what they believe about micro-groove barrels, and we should even help them do just that. :-X

Those folks should sell all their crappy rifles with the crappy micro-groove barrels, since they are so crappy at shooting anything at all. Those micro-grooved barrels are no better than cheap pry bars. :p

In fact, I need some more pry bars, and will offer to buy all their crappy, worthless, inaccurate, micro-grooved barreled rifles - - just to take the worthless POS off their hands. How does $100.00 sound? That is a pretty fair price for a worthless hunk of steel tube, considering I would have to remove the wood, and guts, etc. to make a decent pry bar out of it anyhow. :( ::) 8)

Nope - let them say what they want to. It is a pretty well kept secret if so many still believe the myths of micro-grooves, and in the meantime, the prices will stay down where we need them (maybe even that $100.00 neighborhood). ;) ;D

·
Registered
632 Posts
DWB said:
I say - - let them continue to spread Bravo-Sierra about micro-groove barreled rifles. In fact, re-inforce what they believe about micro-groove barrels, and we should help them do just that. :-X

Those folks should sell all their crappy rifles with the crappy micro-groove barrels, since they so crappy at shooting anything at all. Those micro-grooved barrels are no better than cheap pry bars. :p

In fact, I need some more pry bars, and will offer to buy all their crappy, worthless, inaccurate, micro-grooved barreled rifles - - just to take the worthless POS off their hands. How does $100.00 sound? That is a pretty fair price for a worthless hunk of steel tube, considering I would have to remove the wood, and guts, etc. to make a decent pry bar out of it anyhow. :( ::) 8)

Nope - let them say what they want to. It is a pretty well kept secret if so many still believe the myths of micro-grooves, and in the meantime, the prices will stay down where we need them (maybe even that $100.00 neighborhood). ;) ;D

1++ Most of those that say microgroove barrels are bad can't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo without a scope and a benchrest and maybe not then.What it really shows is their lack of reloading experiance.I have shot 34X40 at silhouettes with my microgroove 35 remington and 31X40 with my microgroove 444 and cast bullets.I too, want them to stay uninformed so that the price of the used rifles doesn't go thru the roof.Who knows where there is a microgroove 375 win for a $100.00?

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
When Lyman perpetuates the myth of microgroove barrels, who can blame them. I've usually got more problems with barrel bands/touching wood etc. My microgrooves do just fine.

I put in my 2 cents for ya.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
dgslr said:
1++ Most of those that say microgroove barrels are bad can't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo without a scope and a benchrest and maybe not then.What it really shows is their lack of reloading experiance.I have shot 34X40 at silhouettes with my microgroove 35 remington and 31X40 with my microgroove 444 and cast bullets.I too, want them to stay uninformed so that the price of the used rifles doesn't go thru the roof.Who knows where there is a microgroove 375 win for a $100.00?
See. There you have it. If you were shooting a Ballard cut barrel you would have run a 40X40! ;D

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Years ago, before I knew better, I traded in two perfectly good Marlins because they had micro-groove barrels, a 336CS in .30-30 that we had bought for my wife and an 1894 in .44 magnum that we had bought for me. They were very pretty rifles, but I believed all the horror stories of using cast bullets in them. If only I had known then what I know now, my Marlinitis would have started a long time ago. But, in the last few years, I think I've made up for lost time. Live and learn I always say.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Loving these responses! My only issue with letting "it" remain a secret is I want to support the company and that's hard to do while spreading false rumors about their product's capabilities.

Sidenote: After posting a civil but contradictory reply to the guy, he edited out all his text and changed it to "Do your own testing." How cute.

·
Banned
430 Posts
Why did Marlin in conjunction with Hornady create the XLR with Ballard rifling?

My Marlins are Ballard.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Because the boat tail configuration of the FTX doesn't do as well in some rifles with micro groove barrels.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Jech said:
Loving these responses! My only issue with letting "it" remain a secret is I want to support the company and that's hard to do while spreading false rumors about their product's capabilities.

Sidenote: After posting a civil but contradictory reply to the guy, he edited out all his text and changed it to "Do your own testing." How cute.
Don't forget... That Marlin (as we used to know it) no longer exists... :'( :( :mad:

LuckenbachTexas said:
I think part of the reason Marlin changed from the Micro-groove to the Ballard rifling, in addition to the FTX Hornady/Marlin developments and a complete re-vamping of the marketing structure, was because of the difficulty in distracting some folks from the bad press the micro-groove rifling had been receiving for many years at that point.

Like many others have said before - - when shooting cast bullets in a micro-groove barrel, speed is your friend.

·
Banned
430 Posts
"Because the boat tail configuration of the FTX doesn't do as well in some rifles with micro groove barrels."

Why did Marlin in conjunction with Hornady create the XLR with Ballard rifling? ;D

So, the 35 Leverevolution and 30-30 Winchester Silvertip semi-boatail would fall in the same catagory?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
So, the 35 Leverevolution and 30-30 Winchester Silvertip semi-boatail would fall in the same catagory?
The FTX .358, which doesn't have a boat tail, has a higher success rate in microgroove barrels than the boat tail version used in the FTX 308 (30-30 160 grain). The Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in 150 grain presumably has a similar success ratio as the FTX, probably less so because it is a shorter bullet. This is pure speculation of course. I really like the microgroove barrels. Mine all group 170 grain power points pretty good.

·
Banned
430 Posts
So LeverEvolution 35 doesn't use a semi-boatail? Mine do.

Hornady told me on the phone that the microgroove is too shallow in most marlins to provide consistant groups. They said it gets copper clogged. I do disagree because when I had microgroove, I cleaned about every 15 rounds and never had a problem.

I'm very happy that Marlin made certain models with Ballard for the discriminating shooter.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hornady told me on the phone that the microgroove is too shallow in most marlins to provide consistant groups.
Yeah, I think that's called a disclaimer.

That's not much of a boat tail when you compare it to the pronounced boat tail of the 30-30 160 grain FTX.

I'm very happy that Marlin made certain models with Ballard for the discriminating shooter.
I'm very happy that Winchester, Remington, & Federal all worked out the 30-30 dozens of years ago for this discriminating shooter.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
LuckenbachTexas said:

My Marlins are Ballard.
I'm not sure theres any one right answer. I forget the model but they tried microgroove in a bolt gun years ago chambered for 30/06 & the like. That didn't work well I suppose but have nothing real to go by except that they never did it again with a centerfire bolt action. Maybe at higher velocities it caused some issues? So maybe the MX's crossed a line where traditional rifling performed better. Its worth noting also that the CB's went away from microgroove & I think that now the entire 1894 line is ballard as is the 1895. The only ones left are the 22's & the 336's tho I cant say why.

I have however always been amused by the concept that cast cant shoot well from microgroove given the fact that is was originally created for Marlins 22 rimfires, which of course shoot mostly lead. Kinda makes a person stateing cast & microgroove dont go together look either uninformed or simple IMO. Its less forgiving I supose & todays propensity towards hard cast makes bullet fit much more critical than when soft lead was the norm, but if the bullet fits theres no problemo.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Interesting. ONce again, probably more about bullet-gun relationship than a blanket statement that micro groove is bad.

I can take my Dad's 336 carbine in 30/30 and do Sub MOA groups with off the shelf Federal 170 grain bullets. Better yet, it likes the 150gr even more, but always use the 170's for deer.

I have not shot Hornady Lever rounds through it nor my 32special.

I would really like to have the time and money to research in depth the Micro-groove myths!

Should start a forum category on this site for people who wish to dump all those worthless Micro grooved guns.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
As postrd previously, my father lived about a mile east of town on a small farm. The town landfill was about another three miles east of his place. Dad's sheep, pig, and cattle pens were 100-140 yds from his back door. His place was a magnet for coyotes as they traveled from town to the dump, it seemed they just had to check out what Dad might have for them to snack on and save another three mile walk. A 336C with factory sights and a Microgroove barrel was his only centerfire rifle. It lived loaded in the corner by the sliding patio door. Try to tell all the coyotes he sent to the happy hunting grounds that microgrooves are not accurate! I don't think they will buy it. The last one I personally saw him roll was at dusk at about 130yds when Dad was well past 80. Long live microgroove. Jack

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love stories like that, you just cant beat a good rifle and a quality marksman who has learned his rifle and how it handles inside and out!

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
LuckenbachTexas said:

Hornady told me on the phone that the microgroove is too shallow in most marlins to provide consistant groups. They said it gets copper clogged. I do disagree because when I had microgroove, I cleaned about every 15 rounds and never had a problem.

Sounds like BS to try to get folks to buy new Marlins "made for" LE ammo. Nah... they wouldn't do that :eek: ::)

I've never had any problems with the microgroove barrel on my 336CS in .35Rem. The deer and beer cans I've taken with it didn't care either ;D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts