Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came home with a brand new 336 and would like some info from some of the users on here with experience as this is my first marlin rifle, will the micro groove rifling hold up as well as cut rifling
Thanks for any info really looking forward to shooting this one

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
1tomcat said:
Just came home with a brand new 336 and would like some info from some of the users on here with experience as this is my first marlin rifle, will the micro groove rifling hold up as well as cut rifling
Thanks for any info really looking forward to shooting this one
Microgroove is supposed to better the way jacketted bullets shoot. And it does.. However it is not too good for lead loads.... Above some speads (like 1300-1500 fps) the grouping goes to hell unless u have gaschecks.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Almost all lead bullets need gaschecks above 1500 fps no matter what rifling style they have. Microgroove is the same as standard rifling in this regard.

Accuracy with cast bullets is more dependent upon how the throat was cut than particular rifling style. I've had Microgroove guns that shot lead extremely well, and others that shot poorly. I've also seen, and shot, "Ballard" rifled Marlins as well as other rifling types in other brands that shot lead poorly as well.

Two of the biggest dogs for cast bullet shooting I've had have standard rifling.

Worry more about the throat and barrel constrictions than rifling type. These factors influence how a rifle shoots much more than how many grooves it has. Negative generalizations about Microgroove ability to shoot lead bullets are inaccurate. Many Microgroove rifles shoot lead just as well as standard rifling. I own several that do just that.

The Microgroove will hold up just fine with regard to longevity. Remember that the .30-30 and .35 Remington are cartridges that are relatively easy on barrels. Don't overheat them and you'll get long life from your 336.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot, really appreciate this information as this was my only concern with this rifle , need to get out and break this one in, probably will only shoot jacketed bullets in it
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
ShootersForum is sponsored by Beartooth Bullets, a purveyor of top quality lead bullets. The owner, Marshall Stanton, is a veritable font of knowledge.

Read the article at the following link

http://beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/17

It is about the .444 Marlin but provides great insight into the development of loads for cast bullets. It is done with Microgroove bbl. guns. The accuracy is astonishing.

There are two other articles in this series. Look in the Tech Notes section on the left side of the screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts