Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase a synthetic stocked XS7 in .308. I want to replace the plastic trigger guard with the metal one from Marlin. Could someone please post a tutorial on how to do this? I know that drilling is required and I dont want to screw my stock up. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
NC lever fan said:
I am getting ready to purchase a synthetic stocked XS7 in .308. I want to replace the plastic trigger guard with the metal one from Marlin. Could someone please post a tutorial on how to do this? I know that drilling is required and I dont want to screw my stock up. Thanks.
Went throuh this a while back an dug it up. The info was provided by WYcoyote, and is all you need to do.

Part #G3207580-00 $11.00 + $6.00 shipping
Phone # 800-544-8892
Aluminum TG for Model 925
I just drilled the rear hole in the guard only to a 1/4" and used the original screw.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently decided that the plastic trigger guard wouldn't do on the new walnut stock on my 7-08 XS7. Here are the steps I took:

I ordered the trigger guard from Brownells, perhaps for a dollar or two more than direct from Marlin, but I had it in my hand within 48 hours.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=20599/sku/Trigger_Guard
The Brownells part number is 550-000-280, this corresponds to the Marlin part number 320758

I needed to drill two separate widths into the rear hole of the guard. In the first picture, you can see the front hole as it arrived, and the rear hole already fully drilled. When the part arrived, both holes were identical (ie, looking like the front). The rear hole needs to be drilled all the way through 1/4" and then counter sunk a little bit with a 3/8" so that the head of the take down screw can fit in it as shown in the second picture. The 3/8" bit should have as large of an angle as possible, flat would be ideal. (a fostner bit shape may be best, but I didn't have one that size, and this is an aluminum piece...) I'm sure there is a "right" bit for this, but the third picture is what I used and seems to have worked just fine.

How far to counter sink is a trial and error. Little bits at a time. The take down screw should fully engage the threads under the bolt, but not protrude so far that it interferes with the bolt. The 4th picture is what the rifle will look like with no counter sink, if you only drill the 1/4" and not the 3/8". And then the last picture is after the 3/8" counter sink has been done. In the "before", you can see that not all of the threads are engaged. The "after" has all the threads engaged, the take down screw fully torqued, and the the bolt still operates freely. This took a few rounds of assembly/disassembly, returning the trigger guard to the drill press to take off a little more material with the 3/8" each time, but all said and done, it took less than 30 mins.

Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just don't drill it TOO DEEP...or you'll end up having the screw come up too high and interfere with the bolt. That's exactly how I found out that I'd fractured the factory nylon guard in the first place. Took the stock off for a thorough cleaning job and I must have gotten carried away with seating the rear screw upon reinstalling the guard.

A great gun and they put a cheap-a$$ nylon trigger guard on it ??? It's about a $20, worthwhile fix that's quick and easy to do. It'll negate any further worries with this component!--Spoon

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Apologies for resurecting an old thread. A 3/8" DeWalt Pilot Point drill bit like those shown below works perfect for countersinking. It creates a nice, flat surface for the bolt head.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I would like to see this post become a sticky. The post has info that X7 owners would probably like to see and it doesnt come up when one searches for "trigger guard".

·
Registered
114 Posts
+1 with making it a sticky. Another mod I am considering doing first. Thanks for the great write-up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I appreciate the good info on this board! I just installed a Boyds thumb hole stock on my XS7 .243 Winchester and per the instructions here installed the metal trigger guard from Brownells (P/N 550-000-280). The TG was back ordered for about a week but was delivered about the same time as the stock! The gun looks great and the barrel free floats (dollar bill test).

I am now loading up some ammo and can't wait to range test the gun.

Thanks again for the great articles found here!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have just placed an order for one. Hopefully Brownells will ship to Australia. I haven't been able to get one from any of the dealers here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was just about to search for this thread. Awesome info. I received my tg from Brownells in two days. My new Nutmeg Laminated stock from Boyd's is supposed to be here on Wed. along with the recoil pad everyone suggested. I cant wait. I'm like a kid at Christmas!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
gafirefighter20 said:
I was just about to search for this thread. Awesome info. I received my tg from Brownells in two days. My new Nutmeg Laminated stock from Boyd's is supposed to be here on Wed. along with the recoil pad everyone suggested. I cant wait. I'm like a kid at Christmas!
I dont think you will be disappointed. For me, the Boyds Laminate stock and Limbsaver Recoil pad has made shooting my Xl7 so mild. I just recieved my tg a couple of days ago and I bought the 3/8 drill bit yesterday and soon one of the final pieces of the puzzle will be in place to get my XL7 where I want it before hunting season. ;D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the pack of pilot point bits that were posted above. They worked perfectly. I used a drill press and had it all done and mounted to the X7 in about 5 mins. Thanks again for the write up. Now just to sit and wait for UPS on Wed. :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just used this post to replace my cracked plastic trigger gaurd, but had to dig for it. I went the route of Brownell's since I had read that delivery was quicker. Placed order online on a Saturday, I called Monday to confirm and they stated that their computer system was down and that shipment would probably be Wednesday. It did ship on Wednesday and I got it by USPS on the following Saturday with a total just under $20 shipped. One week turn-around shipping even with their computer complications. I got it in just in time to install, shoot a few rounds and leave for the first afternoon hunt of opening day. This is a very wise investment if you take the stock off more than a few times. The plastic guard will probably crack.

MODERATORS, PLEASE MAKE A STICKY

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree, this would make a good sticky. I did both my XL7's, on silver and one black for quick identification. Silver looks alright, I'll post a picture if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please post a picture, I just ordered one from Brownells. I would like to see what it looks like insalled.Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here's some pics. As you could see, it would be difficult to tell the difference between the two without looking at the barrel stamp if they both had black trigger guards. The 270 has the silver and the 30-06 is the black.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
h2opumper, how would you relate the "silver" finish to that of a stainless steel barrel on a XL/XS. I assume a matte finish on the stainless but I have not seen a stainless XL/XS. The "silver" trigger guard would compliment the stainless if it was close enough.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts