Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey 35remington,

Can you post the data from the Speer manual #8 or #9 that has the hot load data for the 35 Rem. I have been meaning to have you copy it for me but I think you should share it with the rest of the 35 Rem shooters on this forum. All the other data sources for the 35 Rem are mild to say the least. We need some load data that has whoop ass. Can't wait for you semester to end. We need to start the next 35 Rem data collection so we can post it on the forum.

7-30 Waters

·
Registered
356 Posts
7-30 Waters - good to see you again, was hoping I would cross your path sometime.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
What powders are you interested in and what bullet weights?

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
You gotta understand Dave. When he gets a new, unusual caliber (only kind of gun he buys) he wants to try EVERYTHING in the way of powders, including those that don't have any data listed for the caliber he's working with. A few days ago he called Ramshot and was badgering them to work up some loads using a few of their powders for the .35. They may not do that, but Dave will. He is an experienced handloader with a wide variety of calibers and has a good analytical head on his shoulders. He has made a few suggestions for powder use in the .35 that have turned out pretty well for me, even though he didn't own one at the time.

Now he has an utterly gorgeous .35 with a custom stock that Marlin fitted for him as a way of saying "sorry" for a minor goof with the front sight. He's already monkeyed around with it using cast bullets and wants to try some unconventional thinking in regards to loading the .35. This will be damn interesting, and I think he wants to relate what he's found out later this summer. We'll post his loading methodology and you can make some decisions for yourself upon reading it.

I have some old data that has proven safe and useful, with similar velocities, using the same powders today. I know of a few listed that have changed and don't use them. Some have been discontinued. Some think that a few of them are "too hot" because they are a few grains higher than is listed today, but believe me, that is not the case. I feel that way because of the very low (33,500psi) pressures they are loading the .35 to today. I don't advocate it for newbies but it is well within the capabilities of the many experienced handloaders on this forum. I have discussed the old data with some past and present members of the forum using PM's.

A note to newcomers: don't get the impression that I think adding "a few" grains of powder to every load listed for the .35 is a good idea. It most definitely is not, and with some powders you could get yourself into serious trouble.

Some of the newer powders listed today have some advantages over the old ones, most particularly in temperature sensitivity and, sometimes, in gaining a good caseful of powder to the base of the bullet.

Dave:
Give me a buzz Monday night after 7:15; I should be in. Let me know if you have a day off during the next few weeks. I need a break from the grind and want some rangetime. Done anything with 4895 and the 200 grain at 2200 yet? I also need to talk RL7 with you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Johnny,
I have tried H4895 with the RCBS 200 grain cast bullets you made for me. Didn't get a chance to chrony they yet but they group well at 100 yards. And ouch they hurt compared to XMP 5744. Getting soft in my old age. Guess I will have to toughe n up when I start shooting H335 or hopefully Ramshot TAC behind 200 and 220 grain bullets.

I will keep pestering Western Powders about load data for the 35 Rem. Their main ballistic tech thought one of the major bullet makers had tried it when developin g load data for the latest edition. He couldn't remember which one though. I go back to night shift starting tomarrow night. I will cal you on Wednesday night.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts