Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to pick your collective brain. I was recently thinking of modifying a 444 for comfort when testing and working up loads. I was going to order a mercury recoil suppressor and noticed they are all different sizes and weights. The largest was close to one inch in diameter. I took a rough measurement of a 444SS stock and it looked to be an inch and a half at the thickest part. Is there enough meat there to install a suppressor that large without problems?:hmmmm:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I would think the suppressor manufacturer could answer that question and recommend the best one to fit the Marlin. Another route, probably cheaper too, is installing one of the good rubber butt pads like a Kick-Eez or Limbsaver.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I would think that a one inch would be a little thick and only leave you with a quarter inch on each side. My late friend had three of the mercury units put in his two bore rifle when built. That was a twenty plus pound rifle .

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Buy & Wear a P.A.S.T. Recoil Pad. That way you won't have to Modify or Alter the rifle.
I you Do use a Mercury Recoil Reducer, You want the 7/8 inch Rifle Model.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: gunscrewguy and jgt

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would think the suppressor manufacturer could answer that question and recommend the best one to fit the Marlin. Another route, probably cheaper too, is installing one of the good rubber butt pads like a Kick-Eez or Limbsaver.
Limbsaver's do tame the recoil quite a bit but I never had a problem with scope bite until I put mine on. Same scope 4inch of eye relief seems to me the gun move back more with the soft limbsaver, it could just be me but I now have to make a conscious effort to not lean in to much especially when shooting up hill or from the bench.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Unless all you do is shoot it at the range the recoil reducer is going to get old carrying it around. Installing a good aftermarket recoil pad makes the most sense for overall use, then use a slip on over that at the range. Very little extra weight if any, and the double pad will soak up the recoil before your shoulder does when you are hunkered down. Never shot a 444 but I assume it is close to how an 1895CB with a hard butt plate feels shooting 325LE ammo. The slip on is enough for that at the range so if the 444 is worse the double pad should be adequate.

A Limbsaver on my wife's 1895G made a world of difference for her even versus the fairly generous factory pad.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
My late friend had three of the mercury units put in his two bore rifle when built. That was a twenty plus pound rifle .
20 pound rifle, 1/2 pound projectile if it is a round ball. They don't make enough mercury for that.
I like the idea of the recoil pad and the PAST pad. For hunting just leave the PAST pad at home. A friend uses the PAST with his BPCR and loves it.

Reactions: Owen49 and BFPGW

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Here's an interesting article that seems to say that mass is the most significant thing that can mitigate recoil. All of us engineers working with recoil mitigation devices agree that MASS, MUZZLE BREAKS, and PADDING are the only factors that are quantified. The possibility that a mercury device may spread out the recoil was discussed with no consensus. A shock absorbing dynamic stock may reduce felt recoil. I read into that LimbSaver or recoil pad. I have witnessed muzzle break tests resulting in well over 50% recoil reduction as measured on a ballistic pendulum. These devices are ugly, add somewhat to mass, and are horrendous to bystanders. My advice is padding, load selection, or adding mass if that is a viable option. Lead weight, or fancy, expensive, and even more toxic mercury, Your call. AC

Link to very interesting article: Rifle Recoil

AC

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Another possibility, would be to remove the mag cap and spring, and fill the tube with 44 bullets, this would add a lot of weight. Have never done it, but a possibility.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did call the manufacturer this morning. His answer was he had no feedback from people who had purchased these, so he did not know if there was a problem installing one in a Marlin stock. He did say to be sure it was secured in a way so it could not slide back and forth with recoil. I had already intended to do that though.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I installed an 8oz. C&H reducer in my .444P and it makes a world of difference on the bench. I ordered it from Brownells. I have a limbsaver pad as well that was on the rifle when I bought it.

Reactions: jgt

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
vrkar10, Tell me about it. Did you have your gunsmith install it or did you drill the stock yourself?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts