Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been Toying with the Idea of Installing one of these:
RIFLE MERCURY SYSTEM | Brownells in the Buttstock of my 444S.
Might Help Tame Recoil when Shooting Heavier Boolits & Loads from the Bench.
Anyone ever Try or Use one of these.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The version you linked to is designed to be installed in the fore-end of a rifle or shotgun, and won't do a whole lot at just 8 oz (half of which is just dead weight).
A better option, if noticeable recoil reduction is the goal, would be the 13.5 oz rifle version. Rifle Mercury System.

That being said....
My father tried several of these in a few shotguns and rifles in the '80s and '90s. It completely screwed up the balance of the firearms, and ruined the way they handled. He may have been able to somewhat correct the imbalance by adding fore end capsules, in addition to the butt stock capsules, but it adds too much weight to the rifle/shotgun.http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...rce=ir&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-IR-_-60594

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
FrankenMauser made an excellent point about them changing the balance point and handling of the firearm. IMHO, they work better then just adding dead weight alone but not enough to justify the expense.

Limbsaver, Past, and Kick killer all make strap on shooting pads for your shoulder to help. A good quality recoil pad also helps. I've been known to use a sissy bag with loose sand in it too when playing with 12 gauge slugs from the bench.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Click Click,
Absolutely Right. Guess I should just break down & Buy a Shooting Pad 4 my Range sessions.
Really Enjoy Range time. Probably a Good Investment on my part.
US58

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Registered
450 Posts
I put an 8oz. in my stock after my first outing and noticed a big difference in the recoil. It is a whole lot more pleasant to shoot on the bench now. It never was that big an issue while hunting. I don't notice any real difference in the balance either. Just my 2 cents....

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just Ordered a PAST Magnum Recoil Pad.
Gonna Try it out Next Time I can Make it to the Range.
Gonna Try some Hotter Loads in the T4 w/ RL#7.
Should Help,
US58

Reactions: Click Click Boom
1 - 7 of 7 Posts