Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is a little slow, and I'll take some of the responsibility. Have had little time to read the latest and hardly any time to post so let's generate a little energy going into the prospective hunting season.

I'm a pretty traditional, even sentimental guy. In looking at my 336RC straight grip rifle it reminded me of the first time I actually held Marlin lever action.

It was 1965, I was a skinny 11 year old, wanted to go hunting so badly I could taste it but mom was too nervous about me doing that kind of thing.

Deer hunting season was upon us. I was staying with my sister, I have forgotten why. A knock at the door received an instant response by my brother-in-law, closing the door he said "Thanks a lot!" and took delivery of a long rectangular box. He then sat on the couch gently cut through the packing tape opened and pulled out the most beautiful work of art my young eyes had ever seen, a brand new Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle. I sat there in stunned silence practically drooling over the sight of such an "instrument". He worked the action and the sound was musical. "Wanna hold it?" I took it and racked the action, I was hooked and the rest is history. In about a week we had vinison stew. Just one of those moments that I won't let go of.

What about your "first sight" experience?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
First Marlin lever I used was a 336RC 30-30 that my mom let me borrow. She used it to hunt up untill I went in the service. She may have taken it out since but I am not aware of it. I was given the rifle about four or five years ago and it is one I will pass on to one of my boys someday (maybe a grandson or granddaughter since the boys are 25 and 28 and can buy their own). Not the prettiest by far but it still shoots just fine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My first Marlin 336 Experience was kind of odd. I had traded off a 94Win. and was out of lever guns temporarily. Bouncing around in a pawn shop that had quite a few levers on the wall I noticed this long barreled one. Went home and while talking to one of my gun buddies mentioned that gun, it's condition and price. His answer was a good one. " If the bore ain't hurt and that means gouged like someone drove a stuck bullet out with a stack of nails or shot smooth regardless of finish I'd buy them for 200.00 all day long." 218.00 later I was in the clay pit. And turning in <1" 50yd open sight groups with more than one load, though all 170 bullets. Which compared to my shooting skills is very very good. I had been resistant to the Marlin for a long time honestly prefering the looks of the Winchester. Now I have two my first one made in 1948 a 336 A 24" of reach out and touch. My second 336 is a 70's era in 35 Rem that shoots at least as well. My only problem now is keeping my wife happy enough so I can buy more Marlins! One of them has a chipped toe and the 35 has had a major stock repair, that might worry some folks but I intend on getting another 336 soon and cutting the bad stock down for my boy to use.

The moral of this story is that in less than a box of rounds I began to feel sorry for those levergunners who don't own at least one 336. On a recent trip to the rifle range by my Dad's house the only shooter using the 100 yard line [max distance at this facility] was me. My groups out there were better than many of the 50 and 75 yard targets the other boys were shooting. The only lever gun on the line shot as well as any that day!!

Singing the prasies of a 336 here is preaching to the chior but hard not to do.

B.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My first one was a 336 in 30-30 which I bought right afterwards for 75.00 and which 32 years later is still with me and is the beginning of my collection and was also my first big game rifle and varmint rifle.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My first one was a 336 in 30-30 which I bought right afterwards for 75.00 and which 32 years later is still with me and is the beginning of my collection and was also my first big game rifle and varmint rifle.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
23 Posts
My first is my current 336w. It was my christmas present last year from
my wife. I love to shoot it. This will be my first deer season with this gun.
I do agree with the previous posters that every one should own at least
one lever. I do not know if my 30/30 will be my "go to" gun (I have shot at least 20-25 deer in the last 10 years with my savage 30/06, so its hard to give up that confidence) but I am sure that at least one or two will be taken with my lever.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
TX Surveyor :
Once you step into the woods with that lever in hand.. Time will regress to the 1800's when men were men,, men hunted, not staying at Motel 6, and you were one on one against nature ... you must get close (within reason) to have a clean kill... and once you pull the trigger, and the game is yours for the freezer,, You will fully understand the love of the lever... :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Well I used to have a 336 in .35 Rem, 1950 vintage, the first year for that caliber. I chased the gun for sometime in my early Marlin collecting days, because it was a Marlin, and it was born the same year as me.
It was a really gorgeous early 336, and had 85% original finish throughout. The owner finally came down to my $170 offer. Now before we go insane about stealing it, that was 15 years ago!
Last year I came across another friend who found my model 1892 deluxe rifle at an auction, and bought it, knowing I would want it too. The catch was, he wanted my .35, and so the trade was done. Hated to see the old girl go, but couldn't pass up such a pristine 1892 special order gun either.
Heck, who knows, maybe I'll get it back from him someday, if I get something he can't live without!

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Dad's 30-30, I was the king of the world that day! I think about it every time I shoot that rifle. I now have the rifle in my gun safe. I would rather have my Dad and just barrow the rifle from him. Some day my son will shoot it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got my first Marlin 336 30/30 in 1979 when I was 14yo. i had killed several deer with a 12ga with buckshot, but I still remember that first deer with the 30/30- a fat little forkhorn at about 80yds. The old 170gr just slammed him to the ground. I hunted with that rifle for 3 seasons and killed nine bucks and several wild hogs. I still have that rifle, and 6 more Marlins. Marlins are now my favorite guns.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I was visiting my Grandmother's house in rural Lexington Tennessee. I was actually too young to shoot or hunt, but distinctly remember the gun and my Uncle shooting a woodchuck stealing an apple. The gun was a very old 25-20 Marlin. I was about 5 at the time, and pestered my father no end till I ended up getting a Daisy Buffalo Bill BB gun for my next birthday. The levers have not stopped since. Someday I will get a 25-20.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reading these posts makes me hope my two sons will have the same fond memories that all of you have. I am the first hunter in my family,
other than my grandpa on my my moms side. He died when I was nine
and had not hunted for many years before that. It is hard for people
who do not hunt (or shoot) to understand what guns mean to us.
They are not just tools, they are part of you, part of who you are as a person. They are memories. I hope my boys will look at some of my guns
and remember that great dove hunt, or that time dad shot that great buck
and I was there. And will remember how much I loved them.But for now
I will try to make as many memories for myself and for them for many more years.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mine was a 336 30/30 I was 13 years old.I mowed yards all summer to save up the money to pay for it.And my dad signed the papers for it.He told me if I worked for the money and payed for it myself.That I would appreciate it more,And he was right.I have been a big marlin fan ever sents that day.I no longer have that rifle but I will never forget it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
As some of you know, I bought my Marlin 336 .35Rem from a man named Frank Hanson when I was 15 years of age. It was a 1970 model that had never been fired. Mr Hanson taught me how to shoot that Marlin in the fall of 1980. The Good Lord gave me 17 years to hunt with my good friend and mentor, Mr. Hanson, until he passed away on January of 1997.

Of the 24 years that I have been the owner of this 336, it is the only Rifle I have ever used during the firearm Whitetail deer season. I have harvest deer in the great state of Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, and now North Carolina with this .35Rem. It has in all respect become my favorite hunting partner. Years ago I dubbed it the name, My Little Buddy. God willing, me and my Little Buddy will share another 24 years of whitetail hunting.

·
Registered
688 Posts
A Marlin 336C was my first rifle for which I paid (or so I thought at the time). A .30-30, Dad bought it with "my" money at a Western Auto in downtown Harrisonburg, VA. It was 1969 and boy was I excited. It already had a Williams Foolproof Receiver Sight installed and I was much enamoured of that rifle. Took 4 shots to verify zero with the one box of Remington ammo I bought with the rifle (nowadays I wouldn't think of getting just ONE box of ammo with/for a rifle). That same year I killed my first deer with that rifle.

I S-T-U-P-I-D-L-Y traded that rifle for a "better" one (thinking I'd paid for it). That's when Dad told me he'd paid for it and hadn't used my money (but I still don't know where that money went :?: ). So, I have felt doubly bad about losing that rifle. If I only knew what the serial number was...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hobie, the rule that I have laid down for both my sons... "never trade your first gun". This applys to the first rifle, handgun and shotgun, you will always want it back.

Good to see you again, Leverpuller. Sometime when the time is right you need to again share the story of how you became the owner of that first Marlin .35.

For all who have not read Leverpuller's "first Marlin" story, unabridged, it will bring tears to your eyes especially if you are a sentimental softie like me.

SS

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Sidespin. I really like you rule of "never selling your first gun". I'm sure your sons already understand the importance of this.

I will surely sit down and tell that story of my 336 .35, but I will have to find the time. I had that filed on my old computer but lost it when it crashed. I guess I should have saved it to disk.

Good to see all of the "regulars" and great to see all of the newcomers. Larry has sure done a find job with MarlinOwners.com! It's great to see it growing . The folks come in here the more knowledge that all can share. And the hunting and gun stories aren't too bad either.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I was 12 and hunting with my dad, his friend and his 12 yr old son, Pete. Pete received a 336 in 30/30 over the summer from his dad and the gun was a beaut. That year I had to hunt with my 20 ga pump and slugs and dad must have known I was a little "jealous" and that my dad alwways hunted with a Marlin 336 in 35 rem which he no longer owned at that time.

On XMas morning I awoke to find a 336cs in 30/30 under the tree and could not leave the gun alone. My Dad had worked for Marlin in the 50's and 60's and still had friends in there so the gun went back in for special wood, bluing, and scope. When it came out dad took it apart and worked the action smooth. Unfortunately, dad passed away before I shot my first deer and of course it was with this gun.

I have been offered twice as much as the gun is worth, have gone through hard times when first married and sold off guns for pennies but never thought of selling this one. My sons are now 6 and 2 and I can not wait to purchase for them their first "big" guns. I have since taken the scope off and just carry the gun a day or two every year in memory of Dad.

Someday I will pass this on to one of my kids or grandkids and I hope it holds for them what it does for me.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: thanks sidespin for the trip down many memory lanes. I can't remember the details of my first marlin but it was purchased used in the 60's and was in very good shape. It was a 30-30 which I gave my wife sometime after 1972 when I got out of the sevice. times got hard and I made the mistake of trading it for some darn thing. I wish I had known your rule then. It is the only rifle I can remember getting rid of and the friend who bought it killed one of the largest bucks I have seen in this area with it :cry: My oldest son bout a Marlin 30/30 from the local hardware store (when you could still do that) sometime around 83 or so. He still has that rifle and knows better than to sell it. My grandson is already working the action on it under supervision :) I have a few marlins that can not be pryied from my "cold dead hands" and my son traded as part downpayment for a new truck into a Marlin 32 special that is quite old and 95+ condition. apparently no shots fired through it and it is still in original packaging. I want it bad but that isn't going tohappen. fishing is quiet but the hunting is full swing. Bestlever

1 - 20 of 29 Posts