Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
100_0138.JPG 100_0071.JPG 100_0106.JPG
Now with digital cameras I can preserve memories like these. Old dog died recently, he lived a full and happy life. I always told people he was the wife's dog and tolerated me during hunting season. He just got old. kind of a tribute to an old companion. I am getting a little old to carry on also.

The posting shows other pictures but when saved it only permits what is seen.

DEP

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Thanks for the memories, makes me miss my Peaches and Elmo even more.................dang dusty up in here.................

·
Registered
690 Posts
Dogs are special.
We had a mutt that wondered up to our house some years ago and never left. He stayed around for 12-15 years. He was just a mixed breed small brown dog but very smart. He understood english. Ask him if he needed to go outside, he'd walk over to the door, say no and he'd stop what ever he was doing. The kids, now in their 50s rough housed with him then he'd sleep with them at night.
He defended our property against the biggest dogs in the neighborhood. Once a dog twice his size grabbed him between his front shoulders and shook him causing an infection. I took him to the vet who cleaned it out and gave him a shot. They drugged him to keep him calm. When we (he and I) walked across the parking lot he was woozy and staggered. I picked him up and set him in the seat beside me. When I got in on the other side he came over and put his head on my leg. I tear up just thinking of that experience. He got ran over in front of our house some 40 years ago. I still think of him often. There is no love like a dogs love. Gawd I miss him

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Looks like he enjoyed the hunt. Recon that is where the term "Happy Hunting Ground" came from!

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
My uncle took me grouse hunting quite a few years ago in central PA, around Port Matilda. It was the best grouse day I ever saw. We had 32 flushes in an afternoon. Can't remember what shotgun I was using, but I only collected one bird. My dog was really disgusted with me, and after every miss, she gave me a look as if to say, "I'm doing my job. Why can't you do yours?" No doubt those days are gone for good.

She was a thin, tall boned, black lab. A retrieving fool. The only time she ever missed a retrieve was when the dummy got stuck in a tree. Once when I was fishing, waist deep in a creek, she swam out and brought me a live chicken.

Both she and my uncle are gone now. I miss them both.

·
Registered
13,482 Posts
My old man was a bird hunting fanatic. He kept 3 English Setters. He bought trained 1 1/2 year old dogs from up in Garden City, Mi. We had tons of grouse in our area back then. Dad would get Labs and German Short Hairs on approval but never kept them. The dogs he
bought were schooled and trained to silent whistle. Lots of dogs that would flush grouse but pointers were harder to come by. The old
man bought a shock collar once. I told him he would ruin the dogs fooling with that thing. I was relieved when he put the shock collar on my brother and the buttons on his best dogs collar.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Thanks for posting this. He looks just like my first Golden that I got when he was 12 weeks old. I used to walk him without a leash and several times folks would stop and asked me who trained my dog. He went duck hunting with me near Stuttgart Ark. and loved every minute.

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Nothing like spending time with a good hunting dog. Best friends in the world. Sorry he's gone where all good dogs go. I know it's a big loss.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
100_0098.JPG This one brings back a lot of memories. I wasn't hunting geese purposely and came across this one sitting in a wood duck pond Dropped him with one shot with a load of steel 5's out of my 16 ga. The dog had never seen a goose before and did not know what to do with something that large. He kind of pushed it back into shore. The goose was dropped with one shot as I purposely aimed at the head. The wood duck underneath was in a different pond and 3 shots, the first knocked him down the second two were swatters to try and keep him from reaching the weeds as they can be difficult to fine. About the time you feel a bit cocky you get humbled again. Quite a day for both of us.

DEP

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mans best friend for sure. Dogs are hard, they are so loyal and devoted but only here for a short time.

·
Super Moderator
11,782 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos and memories. My in-laws always kept bird dogs and I remember some good times hunting with them. We have buried a number of our own dogs and I still miss them all.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of the memories are for times that will are gone, not just because of the special times shared with a companion, but also other things. Last few years the ducks seem to be coming through later in the season in one big rush before freeze up. I have not seen any in the little ponds and streams after opening weekend. Don't hear the shots I used to hear from close by lakes in the mornings and evenings and don't see the ducks fly over in the evenings. My endurance is not what it was either and I cannot walk the trails like I used to nor the fields for pheasant. Pheasant hunting at its best was a lot of miles on foot. Mostly I think my days of bird hunting are winding down. Stiff joints, lack of endurance and change.

Been nice to have ha the digital cameras sooner. Would have been able to preserve a lot more memories. I had a Chesapeake that learned to dive after cripples. Shot one once that I thought I would have to run down in the boat. The dog jumped out and Chased it so I could not swat it. After it dove right in front of him a couple of times he went down after it and came back up with it. After that it happened more than once. Good times.

DEP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts