Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what equipment do I need just to put gas checks on... if I buy the Bullets from meister without them...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
You need to make sure they are intended for gas checks. Without equipment suitable for crimping them, the Hornadys may not work to your satisfaction. Lymans are thinner and softer and can be applied by hand more readily. They don't need to be crimped and stay on mostly just for the ride through the barrel. Crimped checks stay on, many times, even after impact.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
You can crimp on checks with an inexpensive Lee push through type sizing die assuming the bullets are made to accept them. Most commercial bullets are not.

Gas check bullet (note rebated bottom shank for the check):

Standard plain base bullet:

Bevel base bullet (note BB bullets will not accept checks):

G

·
To the best of my knowledge Meister bullets come ready to load . So if they do not have checks they are not made for checks. :?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info

exactly what I needed.. was also wondering if possible to put them on by hand... I will get a mold from lyman or lee and right equipment to do them..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use Oregon trail bevel base bullets. You can not put gas checks on if they are not designed for them, HOWEVER you can use the gas check as an over powder wad and they will do the same job. I start them into the case with the expander plug about 1/4" then seat the bullet. It works great.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Modern gas checks need to be crimped on in a sizer of some sort. The obsolete Lyman GCs could sometimes be slipped on by hand, but they also slipped off, which is why they are obsolete.

The cheapest and best way to crimp GCs is in a Lee Pushthrough sizer, about $13. You still have to lube the bullets by some other method. There are only limited sizes available, but they can be opened up by lubing cull bullets with fine valve grinding compound and running them through. You can turn a .309 into a .310 or a .311 into a .313 by this method. I would not open one up more than a couple of thous, but the method works well for small increases.

Putting a GC upside down under a plain base bullet helps to some extent, but that loose GC is extremely erratic and very dangerous at short ranges. Dozens of chronographs have been killed by them.

There are also some GC substitutes for plain base bullets on the market. The wax versions gave minimal improvement and killed powder charges in the summer. There are plastic equivalents available, but I have not yet tried them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts