Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot my 336CB in a cowboy shooting locally.. but having erradic results usning winchester 748 26 grains.. or fffG full.. someone got a better load for the meisters without gas checks

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Tag/bump

Sorry, no experience to share but I plan to work up a load for the same thing this summer. Anyone have some hints?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I don't shoot black so have no experience but recall reading a thread either here or on Beartooth that indicated some rifles needed a compressed load to shoot decently. Might do a search on both sites.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have had flat miserable experiences trying to push plain base bullets past 1200 fps with smokeless.

If those bullets have a nice square base, you might get a 5/16" arch punch and start experimenting. Some folks have reported good results with wads under the base of the bullet. I've been meaning to try that with using an old offset printing blanket for wad material.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ezirider, for what you are attempting, I'd look up 30wcf, aka, Slim Iorg at beartoothbullets dot com. He also posts on the cast boolits dot com board. He and his father have done more experimenting with the 30-30 then most humans can conceive and regularly shoots long range matches in the western Pa area. A gas check is a requisite, almost. He has load data with many results posted on those boards over the last 2yrs. Use the search feature on those sites. The Meisters are plinking bullets at best. Good Luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am working up some reduced loads now for my 336s in 30-30.

I have found a reference to 10g of Unique over 170g GC bullets.

I have loaded seven rounds so far with 8g and clocked them a 1150 average.

Anyone else use Unique for reduced loads?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Unique is pretty much the go-to powder for light cast bullet loads. It's bulky, easy to ignite, and predictable. It also generates considerable pressure for the velocity it gives so you probably don't want to increase that eight grain charge. The gun will take a far heavier charge, but your bullets would have to be extremely hard to give any kind of accuracy. You might even want to decrease it a mite. Could be just me, but I try to avoid barely supersonic loads.

If you want higher velocities, read chapter ten in the Lee Manual. That contains some very useful theory and some excellent load tables for the .30-30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts