Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You would think maybe a Federal Agent would understand that you should obey a lawful order from a Police Officer, especially one that appears excited and has a gun pointed at you, and that failing to comply and resisting, is only going exacerbate the situation.

·
Registered
965 Posts
That was awesome!

Just like every other idiot that thinks their arrogance and contempt keeps them from obeying the police and won’t get them tased and cuffed. The two detaining officers handled themselves professionally and with a lot of restraint. They would have been justified in popping him full of holes when he reached for the gun on his leg.

Thanks for posting the video.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
No video on my thread. Can you repost it?

·
Administrator
30,723 Posts
No video on my thread. Can you repost it?

Nope, entirely too much profanity. Shame they didn't bleep out the profanity as it is a good video to watch. Just do a search on YT for:

ATF Agent tased, arrested at gunpoint by Columbus Police - new bodycam footage

It's a worthy 15 minute view.
Jack

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The date of the incident was July 7, 2020.

Very interesting and instructive. Mega attitude by the perp and lots of profanity.

Amazing restraint on the part of the Columbus Officers.

Lots of support for the officers by the citizens there.

Wonder how this turned out between the two agencies?

Reactions: Golphin and carpy

·
Registered
312 Posts
Columbus PD were awesome. That jackweed ( is that a bad word?) ATF agent was hopefully just having a bad day. But I get the feeling that sort of behavior is his standard MO.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm not one to like the ATF, but the cops screwed this up big time after the initial encounter.
Big Time.

Nope, entirely too much profanity. Shame they didn't bleep out the profanity as it is a good video to watch. Just do a search on YT for: Did you read what JACKTW said?

·
Registered
21,196 Posts

“Agent Burk acted lawfully and posed no immediate threat to officers Fihe and Winchell or anyone else,” the lawsuit said. “Agent Burk did not resist the officers, attempt to flee from their custody or display any physical aggressiveness towards them.”

…until he suddenly pulled a gun from his waistband and shot the officers!!!

How many times have we heard that? He refused SEVERAL lawful orders! Officers had NO idea he wasn’t a criminal who was impersonating an officer! Jackwagon was luck he didn’t get tased standing up or shot IMO! And good thing the cops had body cameras…would be a slam dunk for them if I were in the jury!

·
Registered
221 Posts
How many times have we heard that? He refused SEVERAL lawful orders! Officers had NO idea he wasn’t a criminal who was impersonating an officer! Jackwagon was luck he didn’t get tased standing up or shot IMO! And good thing the cops had body cameras…would be a slam dunk for them if I were in the jury!
And THAT is the crux of the problem. Even if you are doing what is lawful, a part of your job even, you do what the police tell you to. Otherwise it escalates because the police don't know at that point if you are really who you say or someone ready to do harm. Even ID can be faked easily enough so they have to be able to corroborate what you claim. As a federal agent he should have known that and cooperated from the get go.

~Kees~

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks like there were THREE idiots involved in that incident. All of them determined to show who had the biggest 🥒. IMO, all 3 of'em need remedial training before being allowed to carry a badge in the future.

Luis

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know everyone hates the ATF for good reasons, but are we talking about the same video?

The one I found on YT, the initial approach by the cop was '_ Turn around and let me see your hands' to which the ATF agent fully complied and turned with his arms spread open and replied with 'I'm a federal agent.'

What followed next was the cop saying he needs to see some ID and next screaming 'Get on the ground' with his gun pointed to the agent in less than 2 seconds.

Not giving time for a suspect to follow your orders is not reasonable, specially given he was complying with the first order (i.e. turn around and show your hands).

No sane person issue two conflicting orders (i.e. provide an ID + get on the ground) at same time and expects compliance in less than 2 seconds.

Another point: even though Ohio apparently is a 'stop and ID state', failure to ID is a misdemeanor, quote "Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to disclose one's personal information, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree." (Section 2921.29 - Ohio Revised Code | Ohio Laws).

I don't think is reasonable to treat a misdemeanor with deadly force, which is precisely what you do by pointing a gun at anyone.

Next the cop complains with 'Why didn't you show your ID when I got here!?', but again, how could the agent do it in less than 2 seconds? I bet that any sudden move by the agent would be a reason for the cop to fire first and ask questions later.

It is funny that when the agent says he got his ID on his pocket and points to it, the cop next screams for him to not reach for it.

What happens next is kinda expected: another cop joins the party and there is further escalation.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I know everyone hates the ATF for good reasons, but are we talking about the same video?

The one I found on YT, the initial approach by the cop was '_ Turn around and let me see your hands' to which the ATF agent fully complied and turned with his arms spread open and replied with 'I'm a federal agent.'

What followed next was the cop saying he needs to see some ID and next screaming 'Get on the ground' with his gun pointed to the agent in less than 2 seconds.
The Cop rolled up on an "impersonating an Officer" call. The ATF agent did nothing to defuse the situation. As soon as he saw local LE inbound he should have had his shield out in plain sight.
And yes I have had to deal with an amped up LEO.
More than once.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts